3.Phenomenon

When I opened my eyes this morning there was something different about the glow of the room

When I opened my eyes this morning there was something different about the glow of the room. It was a light gray. I looked out the window and groaned loudly. Ice-covered the road making it slick and there were pockets of snow here and there, along with the green of the trees standing out the most. It was a beautiful sight. I dreaded going out in it, but beautiful nonetheless.

When I got downstairs I noticed that Charlie had already left for work. In many ways living with him was sometimes like living alone. I didn't really mind that much.

Of the many things I dreaded this morning, the school was not one of them. I found one person who didn't make the whole occasion unbearable, Edward Cullen. Everything about him interested me. He had this dangerous aura around him that I couldn't get enough of. I needed to know more about the mysterious red head.

The drive to school was a peaceful one. I assumed that the ice covering the road would prove to be a challenge with the old tiers on the truck. When I arrived at school and parked, I got out to check my tiers. I then noticed the new tire chains and I immediately thought about Charlie. He had subtle ways of showing his concern for me which I greatly appreciated.

I was standing in the back corner of my truck admiring the chains on the tiers when I heard a loud screeching sound. I looked up, startled. Time seemed to slow down and I noticed several things simultaneously. Adrenaline began to course through my veins as I anticipated my incoming doom. Edward Cullen was standing four cars down from me staring in horror. His face stood out among all the others. The blue van hurdling towards me showed no signs of slowing down. There was no time for my short life to flash before my eyes. 

Just before the van found its mark, I felt something hit me. An unknown force knocked me to the ground, but most of the pain came from my head whacking against a hard surface. When most of the commotion was over, I opened my eyes to see one pale white hand pressed against, the now, dented side of the blue van. The other hand was holding me firmly in place. I looked up in search of my savior's face and it was none other than Edward Cullen. His dark golden eyes were eerily calm.

"Bella? Are you alright?" he whispered in my ear sending shivers down my spine.

"I'm fine." I said my voice sounded strained. I was trying extremely hard to keep my panic from showing. I tried to sit up, and he tightens his grip on me.

"You hit your head pretty hard. Just stay put," his voice low and unwavering. I reached up to touch my head and found that he was correct.

"Ow."

"I thought so." His voice held a hint of humor. I didn't quite understand how he could be so calm in a moment like this one. In a moment where, for me, the boundary of life and death almost became one and the same. There was no hint of shock in his structured face. If he had been like any other person, he wouldn't be next to me in the first place. He would still be four cars down watching the tragedy unfold. There was definitely more to him than met the eye.