Chapter 20 - Part 2

Lacey

When I came around, I felt disorientated. My throat was dry, and I tried to swallow. My head was pounding.

"Thank god! How are you feeling?" my brother asked.

I opened my eyes slowly. My brother kneeled beside me and my mom stood next to him. She looked like she'd been crying. I was lying on the sofa in the living room. What had happened?

My head was pounding. It felt like I had an army marching through my head. I groaned slightly, trying to shift slowly, but any movement seemed to increase the pounding in my head.

"We were so worried." My mom's eyes glistened with tears. I looked to brother, who gave me a relieved smile.

"You scared the shit out of us." The tension was laced in his voice.

I was still trying to figure out what happened before. I remembered talking to him. Then the tingling in my arm and then the dizziness. The last thing I could remember was my blurred vision and being unable to move my body.

I looked down to my hand as I wiggled my fingers and felt relief flood through me. I could move my hands. Tears welled up in my eyes and I felt a warm hand cover mine and I looked up to my brother as the first tear slid down my face.

"It's okay." He tightened his hand over mine. I tried to swallow the emotion that was trying to break free, so I nodded. I wanted to believe him, but I couldn't. "The ambulance is on its way."

I nodded as another tear slid down my face. He brushed the tears away as he held my hand.

When the sirens of an ambulance drew closer, my brother released my hand as he stood.

"I'll go get them," my brother said before he left, leaving me alone with my mother.

"It's okay, baby. Everything will be okay." My mom kneeled beside me. She kissed my forehead gently, and I squeezed my eyes closed for a moment.

Moms were special people that could soothe even the deepest wounds. As I child, when I scrapped my knee or hurt myself, my mother was the one who I sought for to kiss it better. But this time a simple kiss wouldn't heal me now.

Minutes later, my brother rushed back into the room with paramedics right behind him.

Alex gave them a brief rundown of what had happened.

My mother shifted to allow the paramedics better access to me.

"I'm Ian." The one paramedic introduced as he surveyed me. He had a kind face as he smiled.

"Lacey," I said.

"Can you remember what happened?" He took some stuff out of his paramedic bag.

"My vision blurred and... I felt dizzy," I said, trying not to panic at the memories of not be able to control my body.

"Okay." He checked my blood pressure. "Have you been ill recently?"

"She has a tumor," my brother said.

The paramedic stopped momentarily as he reformulated his questioning to consider my

condition.

"Is your head sore?" He took my blood pressure.

"Yes," I said. "It feels like I'm getting a migraine."

He then looked to his partner, and his partner nodded.

"We are going to take you in," Ian said. While I could still feel my heart beating faster than usual from the panic, he seemed so calm.

As they got me on the gurney and wheeled me out of the house, I heard the paramedic pull my brother aside.