Chapter 14 - Part 1

Lacey

My next stop after visiting with Reece was the restaurant to quit my job. When I told David that I was quitting and why, he was very understanding about everything. When Jax caught me on the way out, I wasn't comfortable telling him about my diagnosis, so I told him I had quit to go to college full time. It was a white lie, but at least I wouldn't have to endure anymore sympathy or awkward moments where people didn't know what to say. He gave me a quick embrace and wished me the best.

I was at home with Adonis when Aiden came by. I'd called him earlier to invite him over after he completed his classes for the day. My meet up with Reece had been emotional, and I wasn't looking forward to breaking the news to Aiden.

Aiden smiled at me when I opened the door, and he hugged me. I felt the touch of a hand on my back and pulled away to notice Adonis standing just behind me. His attention was on Aiden, who looked a little surprised to see him.

Adonis nodded to him and wrapped a possessive arm around my waist. It was like he was staking his claim on me. I couldn't believe he needed to do that when he knew how I felt about him. Besides, he knew there was nothing going on between Aiden and I. He was just a good friend, nothing more.

I pulled away from Adonis. "I need to talk to him alone."

He didn't look happy with my request, but after a few moments he gave Aiden a look before he kissed me on the lips.

"I'll be in the kitchen." He left me alone with my friend, who was looking a little confused.

"I'm surprised he didn't pee on you," Aiden remarked dryly as I led the way into the living room. I stifled a giggle because Adonis was trying to send a message to him: I was his.

"How did you guys finally get together?" he asked when I sat down on the sofa and sat down beside him.

First, I would have to tell him about my tumor before I could tell him how that had finally pushed Adonis to reveal how he really felt about me.

"Remember, I went to see your doctor," I tried not to fidget. I hated having to tell anyone about my illness, but he deserved to know. He frowned as he nodded his head, I could already see the gears in his mind turning.

"He referred me to a specialist." I twisted my hands in my lap.

"I thought it was just a checkup." He frowned. "Why did he refer you to a specialist?"

I let out a deep breath. It was time for the truth.

"I lied," I said, feeling bad for deceiving him. "The migraines were getting worse, and I'd experienced other symptoms I needed to get checked out."

"Why didn't you just go to your own doctor?" he asked. I still wasn't making sense.

"I didn't want to worry anyone until I knew if there was anything to worry about."

"Did you see the specialist?" His expression changed from confusion to concern.

"Yes," I said. "He ran some tests, and he found what has been causing my headaches and the other side effects."

I paused for a moment.

"He found a brain tumor," I said. His eyes wide with his mouth open slightly like I'd punched in him in the gut.

"A brain tumor," he repeated, not sure if he'd heard me correctly. I nodded.

He stood up and paced up and down. He raked his fingers through his hair. I watched him process my news.

Then he stopped to face me. "How serious is it?" 

"Pretty serious," I said. He sank down beside me. He looked like I'd pulled the rug from underneath his feet.