Chapter 13 - Part 2

Lacey

The next morning I woke up before Adonis. He was lying beside me on his side with his arm around my waist.

So many mornings when I'd seen him sleeping on the sofa, I'd wondered what it felt like to wake up beside him. It filled me with such happiness. I lost track of time as I lay watching him sleep, tracing every feature , wanting to touch him, but I didn't want to wake him. So many things I'd take for granted before my diagnosis, but now every moment, both big and small, I had to cherish.

He stirred, and I smiled as I watched him. His eyes fluttered opened, and I smiled.

"How long have you been awake?" He pulled me closer.

"A while."

He pressed a kiss to my forehead. Every touch amplified because I was running out of time. As much as I wanted to ignore everything but the two of us, I needed to see the specialist again. I had questions, and I needed some answers. "I need to go see the specialist again."

Adonis stilled beneath me. It was like I'd broken our moment.

"I knew you would want to see him again when you'd had time to process everything. I called to get another appointment with him and he said he could squeeze you in at five on Friday," he said. He knew me too well.

"Thanks."

Silence descended between the two of us as my mind cycled through the questions I wanted to ask the specialist.

"So what do you want to do today?" he asked, his fingers trailed on the surface of my skin.

I wanted to spend it with him, but there was something I had to do.

"I need to see Reece," I said, not wanting to get out of bed. It wasn't something I was looking forward to, but she was my best friend and I had to tell her what was going on. I had a couple of missed calls from her I hadn't returned. This wasn't news I could break over the phone.

"I'll take you," he said, and I nodded.

Then I thought about Aiden. I would need to tell him as well. It was going to be another draining day, but there was no avoiding it. Suddenly, I remembered I had to work today. Through all the emotions and stress, I'd completely forgotten.

"I forgot I have to work today." Quickly, I sat up. I didn't want to call in sick, but I wasn't in the right frame of mine to concentrate on working.

"Do you think it's a good idea to continue to work?" Adonis sat up.

I rubbed my head. The answer was no.

"I'll call Jax to ask him to cover my shift, but then I will need to go by the restaurant to quit."

I could feel my stress level rise when I thought about how Reece would take my news and how David would react to me quitting. My head throbbed, and I rubbed it.

"Relax." Adonis put an arm around me and hugged me to him. "You can't let all these things worry you."

He was right, but it was easier said than done.

"I know," I said.

"Come on, let's get up. The sooner we get everything done, the sooner you can stop worrying about it." He got out the bed and helped me out.

Having him with him and helping me meant so much to be that for a moment I swallowed my emotion down as I stood in front of him.

"How did I get so lucky to have you in my life?" I whispered. It was true.

He tipped my face up to his. His eyes searched mine. "Trust me, I'm the lucky one." His words pulled at my heart. His words made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. He pressed kiss to my forehead and my heart that was owned by him melted.

After he left me in my room, I had a shower and got dressed. He'd gone home to do the same. He'd told me he would be back at the house in half an hour to take me to see Reece.

I called Jax, and he said he would cover my shift. He didn't seem to mind, which eased my guilt.

Today Reece started her classes late so I could see her before she left for college. I didn't want to wait the entire day before I could tell her. I called her and she answered.

"Hi." I gripped my phone tightly.

"Hello stranger." Her tone a little stiff. I felt bad that I hadn't been in contact with her the last couple of days.

"Yeah, I'm sorry, but things have been a little hectic." I paced.

"Too busy to call me?" she asked, her tone softer.

"I need to see you this morning." I didn't want to tell her over the phone.

"Sure," she said, and I could hear the nervousness in her voice.

She was my best friend and knew me better than anyone else. It was how she knew something was wrong, but she did not know what.

"Okay, I'll see you in about half an hour," I said.

"Sure, see you then."

I let out a sigh when I disconnected the phone. My father and my brother had left for the day, and my mom was the only one I had to face.

"Hi mom," I said when I went downstairs to the kitchen.

"Hi baby." Her eyes lit up. I gave her a hug, and she hugged me a little tighter than usual, I understood why.

"What are you doing today?" she asked.

I told her, and she nodded her head grimly. "She needs to know."

I heard the front door open and close, then Adonis walked into the kitchen. His hair was still damp and my heart skipped a beat at the sight of him and I had to catch my breath.

"You ready?" He pressed a kiss to my cheek, and I trembled. I wasn't used to him being affectionate like but it was something I could definitely get used to, and I nodded.

"I'll see you later." I gave my mom a quick kiss on the cheek.

The car ride to Reece was quiet. I was too busy trying to figure out how I was going to tell Reece what I had to. Adonis pulled up in her driveway and switched off the car. "I'll wait here."

"Thanks," I said as I got out of the car and closed the door.

In my mind, I was already trying to find the easiest way to tell her. The front door opened before I could knock, Reece beamed at me and her eyes went to the car parked outside her house.

"Is that Gray?" She gave me a knowing smile.

Then I remembered she did not know we were together. She had always told me he had a thing for me; I was the one who hadn't believed her. She was right; she was so going to gloat.

"It's a long story," I shrugged.

"Doesn't he want to come in?" she asked, and I shook my head.

"I need to talk to you alone."

Her eyes narrowed, and she frowned. Whatever I was going to tell her wasn't good. We went into her house.

In the living room, she sat down and I took the empty seat beside her. I hesitated for a moment, not sure what to start off with.

"You're freaking me out. Just spit it out." She was watching me as she clasped her hands together.

I told her about my symptoms and the doctor's visits. She sat quietly listening to me as everything that had happened spilled from my lips.

"I have a brain tumor," I said, and I saw her eyes widen in shock.

"I don't understand." She shook her head, struggling to process what I was telling her.

I told her about the only treatment being surgery and for a moment she looked stunned, and then she pulled me into a hug. Hearing her soft tears as she hugged me made me cry. We hugged for a while before I pulled back and she wiped her cheeks.

"You still haven't explained why Gray is here?" she asked.

The mention of him made me smile and her eyes lit up.

She smiled at me and winked. "I told you so."