I come to, and realise I am completely bound. My arms and legs together, probably to keep me from doing magic. This is ridiculous. I'm back in the tent where I started, and I doubt I'm going to get out of here without anyone's help.

It's still dark outside, at least from what I can tell. There's only a little slip that lets me see outside of the tent, the one that I cut earlier.

Is it still dark because I'm missing again, or is that unrelated? How long have I been gone?

More importantly, why hasn't Pan come and got me? I mean, he didn't get Felix when he was kidnapped, but that was because he didn't want to show the conspirators they had power. And that was Felix. I'm me, and he's Peter, and this is different.

Aren't we different?

When the tent flaps open, I can see behind the dark figure that there still is no sun. It's a different dark from before. It's bottomless. No small light from the stars, or even light from the flames of a fire. That could be because the Natives are sleeping, but it doesn't explain the stars.

I love the stars, and it would be a little comforting to see them.

"You've got to get out of here." The girl whispers.

Walela.

"Yeah I know," I groan, sitting up.

She comes up, slicing down the ropes on my feet and arms. "You need to go back and lock down the camp."

She helps me up, and as she turns to move I pull her towards me. "Why, are they in danger?"

"They will be if you don't get out of here." Her voice is urgent, and she tries to pull me out of the tent. "You've got to knock me unconscious, then you've got to leave."

"Why?" I'm not knocking Walela unconscious. Not when she's the only girl I know here, and not when I don't know why.

"There's no time." She looks at me, wide-eyed. "You've got to get out of here, and quickly before-"

"I'm not leaving until you tell me why." I hold my ground.

"There's no word for it in this language." Her arms shake against mine. "I can't explain it."

"Try." I let go of her crossing my arms.

She rolls her eyes, finally realising I am too stubborn to move until she explains to me what is going on. "I don't know what you want me to say."

"Tell me what's going on!" I raise my voice.

"The Fear Run!" She answers.

The Fear Run? What the hell is that? I imagine it's exactly what it sounds like, but I don't know why I should worry about it. Even if they make me do whatever it is, I don't even fear my own death. Running isn't hard, and I wouldn't recognise fear if it danced me to my own death.

"The Fear Run?" I ask.

"It's our passage into manhood." She explains. "It's why Inali isn't chief, because he won't do it."

"Why not?" I scoff. "Inali doesn't seem like a coward."

Walela crosses her arms glaring at me. "He's not. The Fear Run, it kills nearly everyone who attempts it. They drug you, and you hallucinate your worst fears, for hours or even days. You go insane, or have a heart attack, but barely anyone lives."

"Why are your people making me do this?" I ask.

"It's punishment, for attacking our leader." She answers. "And besides, they think it'll make Pan listen. You need to leave."

"I'm not afraid." I tell her.

She shakes her head. "Then you are a fool."

I am not. I hope.

Her arms wrap around my wrist, dragging me out of the tent. She picks up a rock off the ground, putting it in my hand. Is she honestly expecting me to hit her with this? Throwing it aside, I shake my head.

"Walela, I won't hurt you." I say. "You're my friend."

"And you're mine." She answers. "I don't want you to die, so knock me out. Because even if you survive the Fear Run, you'll never be the same."

She's really serious, and she's asking. Begging even, which is not something I expected from her.

I roll my eyes. "Fine."

I snap my fingers, and she falls to the ground. Out cold, hopefully not out-permanently.

The last time I used magic like this was when I seriously hurt Harry and Alex. I hope history isn't doomed to repeat itself.

"Walela!" I whip my head around, and see Inali, looking over at me shocked and angry.

He shouts again, in the language I don't understand. People begin to come rushing out of their tents, crowding around me and shrieking.

"Inali, she asked me too." I shout through the crowd. "She was trying to save me."

When his eyes meet mine, I can see his face falter. "I thought you were attacking her."

"No!" I shout back, moving my head around to try to see him.

I'm surrounded by an angry mob, that's quickly closing in. Their angry faces, frowning and shaking their fists. Al because Inali didn't take the time to just ask me what was going on. Jumping the gun has helped no one, and when I feel someone rip my arms behind me, I can see its consequences.

Their leader comes up, and begins to say words to me, which I still can't understand. I can feel my heart beginning to race. Am I panicking?

I can feel my breath. It's heavy, and Inali's panicking too, from across the crowd.

"I can't help you!" He cries. "I'm sorry."

He looks at me, like this is a death sentence.

This is a death sentence.

Someone holds a light green plant in front of my face, threatening to shove it down my throat. I grind my teeth together, trying to hold away from the plant. A tear rolls down my cheek, as I glance up at Inali. He looks desperate.

The plant gets shoved in my mouth, and I feel the adrenaline rushing through me.

I collapse to the ground, feeling my body twitching beneath me as my hands go numb. Light flashes around me, although there is none. Like strobes, glances of the people staring down at me. When it's light I can hear their screams and their anger, but as I black out rhythmically, there is nothing. It's moving in time with my heart beat, which gets louder and the flashing colours speed up. I can't feel anything, but I can see no one's hands on me. They've let me go.

I close my eyes tight, pressing them together as hard as I can as my teeth grind together. It feels like I can't breathe.

Until suddenly I can.

~~~~~

Well crap. I'm super stoked for the fear run. So much so, and also Walela and also Inali, and also really everything else that's going on. Halfway through season 2A and I'm finally worming around through a plot. It's business time.

What do you think the Fear Run will bring? What do you think Charlie is most afraid of? What will happen to her if she survives? Let me know what you think in the comments below.

For now, warm up inside (it's minus 20 C out here), and I'll see you Wednesday.