Chapter 1

• Dedicated to Syd and Peighton!!

-Katniss-

Humming, I crash through the leaves of the forest, tears falling down my face as the Mockingjays whistle Rue's song back to me. I stop for a moment and the birds fall silent, waiting for me to continue. Pulling out an arrow, I notch it in place. Did I just imagine it? After a few moments of silence, I continue walking before I hear it again: a quiet shuffling sound behind me. I whirl around and lift my bow, ready for an attack.

   "Woah, its just me." a voice from behind a tree says. I lower my weapon as a little head with blonde hair in two French braids peeks out. She walks towards me, her shirt tail sticking out.

    "What are you doing here, little duck?" I ask, walking up to her. I embrace her and she wraps her tiny arms around me. I tuck her tail in, then bury my face in her hair.

     Suddenly she goes stiff and I lift my head. A knife is sticking out of her side and I pull back quick enough to watch the life fade from her eyes. Dread fills me, suffocating me, and I look around to see Gale, his eyes wide in disbelief.

     "I'm so sorry. I never meant to..." he begins.

     "You killed her! Prim!" I scream her name, and then blood starts pouring out of her mouth, her nose, and I can smell the sickly sweet scent of a single white rose. Then his voice, echoing throughout the arena.

     "No...convince me."