Chapter 12- Nightmares and Friends

Crystal's P.O.V
Lonely child... Come heeeeere....
I sit up with a start. I've been having the same nightmare in different variations. I think something's wrong with me, and it's really nerve wracking. I run my hands through my hair and puff out a breath of air. At least it's the weekend. That's always great. I yawn as I make my way down the stairs in my PJs.

"Mornin' mom," I say sleepily.

"Hey honey! Want some eggs?"

"Yes please!" I say with relish.

My mother smiles before placing a steaming plate in front of me. I grin. Mornings get better with hot food.

Rhys' P.O.V

"No! stop! stop!"

Arelina is having her nightmare again. I rub a hand over my face, sighing.

My parents are already in her room, cooing and clucking like hens in a frenzy, and I watch, lifeless.

I go to the kitchen and glance at the calendar on the fridge. Arelina has her counselling appointment today. Maybe that will help with the nightmares.

As I wait for the rest of my family, I swig a cup of orange juice. Maybe I can visit Crystal today. Yeah, that'll be fun.

Crystal's P.O.V

As I do my homework, I hear the chime of the doorbell. I am quizzical about who would be at the door at this time. After all, it's only 10 am, so unless whoever it is is coming for brunch, then, I dunno.

"Crystal!" My mom yells from the kitchen. "Wouldya mind getting that, darling?"

I move to get up from the dining table, but my father's voice booms out.

"I'll get it!"

"Oh! Hello!" My father sounds astonished.

"Uh, hey. Is Crystal home?"

"Erm.. Yeah, uh, I'll call her," my dad sounds really uncomfortable, and I wonder why. And who wants to see me?!

"Crystaaal!" My dad calls.

I rush to the entrance, and mentally face palm when I realize it's Rhys. Who else would it be?

"Hi," I say awkwardly.

"Uh, hey," Rhys says, scratching his neck self-consciously.

My dad is looking between the two of us like we're a ping pong match, and he finally quirks an eyebrow.

"Mind introducing me to this... Gentlemen?"

"Eh, yeah. This is Rhys," I gesture.

"Hi," Rhys intones, waving, almost shyly.

"Nice to meet you," my dad murmurs cautiously. He grabs Rhys' hand and shakes it firmly.

"Is he your boyfriend?" He asks me sternly.

I swear, Rhys' face turns the colour of a ripe tomato, and I can feel my cheeks reaching a temperature as well.

"No, it's nothing like that! We're just friends!" Rhys blurts out.

I'm relieved that I didn't have to say anything, but a bit disappointed that Rhys brushed the question off so quickly. I mean.. I know he doesn't like me that way, so, yeah, but still...

"Hmmm," my father scrutinizes Rhys with stone eyes, but let's it go.

He returns back into the house, leaving me and Rhys to ourselves.

"Sorry!" I whisper-shout.

"No, it's fine. I'd probably do the same thing if a guy came and asked for my sister," he says.

I nod distractedly, noticing how the sunlight makes Rhys' hair turn into different colours.

"You wanna go to the mall? My friends are going today, so I wanted to ask you," he ask casually.

"Ok, lemme tell my parents."

I scamper back in the house, blanching at my dad sticking his head out of his office, eavesdropping .

I quickly tell my mom what I'm doing, and rush back to Rhys, ignoring my mom's cheeky smile.

"Let's go!" I cry.

And we're off.

Rhys' P.O.V

I am still shaking a little from the encounter with Crystal's dad. Never in my life have I been scrutinized so thoroughly!
At least he didn't try to shoot me or something, though. I drive my car slowly through traffic, swerving away from texting drivers.

"This is a nice car. What make is it?" Crystal ask suddenly.

"Chevrolet Cruz Hatch," I respond.

"I love Chevrolet!" She enthuses. "I have a Chevrolet van. I dunno the exact name of the van though," she ponders.

"Chevrolet is pretty awesome," I agree.

We lapse into silence, and soon we reach the mall.

"They're in the food court," I direct.

Crystal nods and follows me into the bustle. I can't see my friends anywhere.

"There they are," Crystal points.

I follow her finger and see Asher and Momo waving their hands frantically in front of Taco Bell.

"Alright," I concede. "Let's go."

"'Sup man," Asher greets.

"Heeeeey," Damien drawls.

Momo just nods. Typical of him.

" Ooooooo, baby girl's here," Damien yelps, noticing Crystal.

She shifts uncomfortably, frowning a little.

"Give her a break," Asher chides, flashing Crystal a grin, which she half heartedly returns.

"Heeeeeeyyyy, you know what you should  do?" Damien demands.

" Who should do what?" Crystal asks in confusion.

Her brows furrow in the cutest way when she's confused or thinking too hard. I almost want to reach over and smooth out those lines myself. I smile at the thought, and look over to see Momo smirking.

"Shut up!" I mouth, irritably.

"Didn't say anything," he mouths back, putting his hands up in defense.

Asher looks at our little exchange in amusement. Meanwhile, Damien is chatting up Crystal, who looks ready to flee for her life.

"....and the car almost hit me, but it didn't, 'cause I'm  awesome! And ya know-"

"Ahem," I interrupt.

"I was just telling Crystal that you two should go racing together!" Damien exclaims brightly.

"And racing was what almost got you run over, correct? I'm not gonna let Crystal almost get run over," I say tersely.

"Aw c'mon! Lighten up!"

I scowl at Damien as my friends snicker.

"You're gonna go if I have to put my life in danger!" Damien vows.

Yeah. No way is this happening.