Chapter 11- Darkness Lurks

To be honest, when I was looking for a picture for this chapter, I scared myself because I searched for 'dark mist' and the results were a bit creepy! 😱

Rhys' P.O.V
I sit on the park bench sulkily, my hand stuffed into my pockets. Meanwhile, Crystal is prancing around like a nervous bull in a rodeo.
"Stop grouching, you grinch!" She yells at me, before sprinting to the other end of the park and back.
How she is able to bear the cold, I don't know, but I'm not budging.

"You know you'll be warmer if you actually move," she points out crossly.

"Ferfrvrfvrrgr," I mutter incomprehensibly.

"What was that?" She asks, cupping a hand behind her ear. "You want to move, but you need someone to move you because you have a lazy butt?"

I start to growl at her, but she grabs my arm and starts running before I can make any sound.

At some point, Crystal lets go of my hand, and I land on the ground with a whump.

Distantly, I hear her laughing, but when I finally lift myself, her smile disappears. Apparently, when I'm in a bad mood, my face gets quite sour, or so I've been told.

"I. Am. Going. To. Hurt. You." I pronounce, taking slow, measured steps towards Crystal, who is now cowering in front of me.

As I get close enough to see the individual flecks of light in her eyes, she turns, squeals, and starts running.
It doesn't take long to catch her, and I've gotta admit...I am a fair bit warmer.

Crystal's P.O.V

"Don't hurt me please!" I beg, shielding my face with my hands.
I wait for Rhys to pounce on me, but the blow never comes, and I tentatively open an eyelid to see what Rhys might be planning.

I am shocked to see him looking down at me in amusement, and I sit upright and stare at him.

At this, he starts laughing outright, doubling over, and falling down next to me.

"You.. Hee hee *gasp* have- *chortle chortle* *snort* a leaf- *snicker* in- tee hee- your hair!" Rhys starts giggling, yes, giggling uncontrollably.

I look at him in derision, feeling my head, and pluck the leaf out of my hair.

I sit in pained silence until Rhys stops laughing, then, I slap him.

Rhys' P.O.V
"Ooowwww, that hurrrrts," I can't help whining, as Crystal slaps an ice pack on my throbbing face.

"I can't believe you wanted an ice pack because I slapped you," she reprimands.

"But it hurts, and ice is good for you!"

"You're a wimp!"

"Am not!"

"Are too!"

"Am n-"

Our bickering is interrupted by someone dressed in a bright neon tracksuit, so bright it hurts my eyes.

She looks as surprised to see me as I am to see her.

"Well, won't you introduce me to your friend?" She inquires.

Crystal closes the freezer, and sighs. She seriously does that a lot.

"Mom, this is Rhys. Rhys, this is mom," she says tiredly.

"Delighted to meet you," Crystal's mom says. "Call me Erin, sweety."

'Erin' shakes my hand, and I'm scared that I'll have to be amputated, because, man, that woman is strong!

As soon as she lets go, I cradle my prickling hand to my chest and manage to grind out, "pleased to meetcha."

"Well, I'll let you get on with... Whatever you teenagers do nowadays!" Erin beams, and scurries out the door, never noticing the blooming bruise on my cheek.

"If teenagers slap each other for laughing nowadays is what you mean, then yeah, that's what we're doing," I grumble.

Crystal snorts, and I can't help but add a chuckle myself. Laughing can be as infectious as yawning- maybe more... If it's the right kind.

Crystal's P.O.V

My eyes travel up as Rhys climbs higher and higher.

"You're gonna fall," I warn.

"Naaaah!" He responds.

A gust of wind scatters my hair, and as I sort it out, I hear a loud crash, as well as a muffled curse.

I laugh at Rhys' forlorn expression as he rubs his back.

Looking at my watch, I notice that it's getting late, and I should get back to my house for dinner.

"Unfortunately, I don't have time to soothe your back. I need to get home to eat," I holler.

Rhys just waves his hand in agony.

"Bye!" I wave, hopping in my car.

I sigh. Rhys is my best friend. He makes me feel... Not lonely. But the pain comes back. It always does.

***

Relentless we are, slithering into your spine, we will choke you, bury you alive, you will burn in fire, and you will freeze in ice, no matter where you go, we will find you...

I wake, gasping for air. Only a nightmare. I look down at my shirt. It's drenched in sweat, and I start to shiver in the cool air. I charge out of bed, changing my shirt in record time. Snuggling under the covers, I wait for sleep to come, but the nightmares begin all over again.

Lonely child... come here.... we will help you forget....

Rhys' P.O.V

I curse internally. My back is freakin' killing me! I sigh. I hope I'm not picking up the habit from Crystal. As I pedal home, I see Talon walking on the sidewalk with a couple of his no good buddies. As I go past, we enter a stare war, Talon raising his chin as if daring me to fight him. I tighten my grip on my bike, turning my knuckles white, but I don't give in to my animalistic desires. However, instead of going straight home, I head to the boxing ring, and I punch out my anger there. Being friends with Crystal has let some anger ebb away... There's still good in this world, but the reminder that the world is not perfect remains standing.

Child of darkness, here me cry, I will chant this song over the sky, never leaving always haunting, till your death I am lurking, anger and pain still despise, angels of dark, in disguise, screaming, dancing, warlike whooping, all, under the cover of the night.