Chapter 2- How we Are

Crystal's P.O.V
"Hey! Watch where you're going, will ya?" a cranky voice asks.
Slowly, I turn, and see an old woman glaring at me over the top of her glasses.
"Sorry," I murmur apologetically.
The woman harumphs and waddles off, apparently satisfied.
I sigh and return to watching a couple of friends throw jelly beans at each other.
As if they can sense my eyes on them, they move away, until they are out of sight.
I frown, staring at the ocean, at the way the water slides across the sand, like a perfect pair, completely in harmony.
I cautiously tiptoe across the sand, wincing from the hot pinpricks across my toes.
As I reach the edge of the water, a seagull lands beside me.
"Shoo!" I cry, waving my hands.
The seagull honks, and flaps off.
I wade deeper into the water, and dive in.
Seaweed sways, and clouds of sand puff up whenever my feet kick the bottom.
I blink as my brown hair swirls into the water.
I love coming to the beach. Since it's summer, I've been swimming here every day.
It's always different people around, but the sun and sea is always welcoming.
There is torture here as well. Clusters and pairs of friends gather each day, and my heart contracts each time I see them.
They are the very essence of who I want to be. A carefree, teenage girl.
As I make my way back to my towel, tears pool in my eyes. I see a young girl staring and angrily brush them away.
I do not need to share my sadness. It is my burden, and mine alone.

Rhys' P.O.V
I stand ready, waiting for my opponent to make his move. The balls of my feet shift impatiently, and my muscles tighten in anticipation. When he strikes, I am ready. I block him, then throw an uppercut towards his jaw. He ducks, and my arm hits air. He tries to lunge towards me, but I sidestep him, and he lands on the floor with a thud.
With a moan, he rolls over, and I stand ready, waiting for him to get up.
He doesn't.
"Well, aren't you gonna make your move?" the guy glares at me.
"I was waiting for you to get up," I calmly declare.
He grunts as he hoists himself up, then stands ready.
The man charges at me, and I grip him in a headlock.
He tries to escape, but can't, and admits defeat. I let him go, and we part ways.
I head over to the punching bags, and let all of my anger at Talon pour out.
I'm so engrossed in my actions, that I don't even notice the manager talking, until he's practically yelling in my ear.
"Son, you've gotta go, its closing time,"
I jerk back like I've been slapped.
I wipe off a bead of sweat, and start to head to the door.
The manager takes a hold of my arm.
"Take it easy, ok?"
I nod, and leave the boxing ring.
In the car, I blow out a big puff of air, then ignite the engine.
On the roads, traffic is heavy, and this gives me time to think of Talon- who doesn't even deserve to be in my mind.
I sit there, seething, and barely avoid a bicycle crossing my path. I take a deep breath to clear my mind, but it doesn't help. My mind stays stuck on Talon.
He is the worm in an apple,
The dust on a mantle,
A speck of dirt on a jacket.
He is the thorn in my side.

Crystal's P.O.V
I come home long after dark. Trying to sneak in without being noticed, I'm surprised when my mother emerges from the kitchen, bleary eyed, but very much awake.
"Mom! You didn't have to wait up."
"I wanted to," she says, smiling tiredly.
"Thank you," I murmur.
"You're welcome, now head on off to bed," she urges.
I climb the stairs up to my room, and shrug off my salt stained clothes.
I snuggle into my bed with my pajamas, but as always, my mind goes back to the lonely aching beat of my heart.
I know one really notices me, or really cares about me, but at least no one hates me, right? No, it's NOT all right.
I still feel that emptiness very deeply. The unshed tears from the beach now pour out of me, as salt filled as the ocean I swam in. I lay there in the starry night, listening to the sound of my lonely heart.

Rhys' P.O.V
My family is already waiting at the dinner table, shuffling their cutlery sullenly.
Arelina looks up at me, a mixture of sadness and concern etched onto her face.
As we dig in, my father clears his throat.
"Were you at the boxing ring again?" he asks gruffly.
I nod, stabbing my vegetables onto my fork.
No one says a word after that. It's just an uneasy silence.
I feel so angry, I almost bend my fork in half.
Nome of this would have happened if Talon hadn't meddled with Arelina.
I would do anything to protect my sister, but the furtive way she acted now was proof that I hadn't protected her enough.

Hey! Please comment and tell me how you like the book so far!