CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

Start from the beginning

"You're not serious."

"Dead serious." Alexia shot back, daring him to ask her again. When Jason comprehended she was as serious as one can be, he wrapped an arm around her waist loosely from behind, locking his eyes with hers in the mirror. "That's weird."

"It's weird that I don't want either of us to drown?" she knew she was being snappy, but the subject bordered touchy. Yet again, she didn't know why.

He seemed taken aback by her harsh tone. "I was just saying. If it makes you feel any better—I won't get too drunk. That way we can both swim because I'll be looking out for you and also you can get drunk. And then I'll carry your fat ass back to our room and we'll have sweet sex."

She grinned, desperately trying to lighten the mood. "Sounds good."

They both stared at themselves in the mirror for a short period of time. Alexia was thinking about how lucky she was to have him here, his arms around her and a smile on his face. She wondered how long it would take for Damian to ruin it for them again.

"Let's go." She stated, turning around in his grip. She pressed a chaste kiss on his lips before pulling away and collecting their stuff.

The thought of Damian made her sick to her stomach. She just wanted to enjoy this little getaway, pushing him out of her mind completely. It appeared that she couldn't do that, as she spent every minute worrying about what he was planning and who he was killing next, even with Jason by her side.

She couldn't help it. It was all very surreal to her that he was really here. Puffing out a breath, she rummaged through their bags and fished two towels out of them.

Jason frowned, sweeping her up in his arms and carrying her to the bed. Alexia didn't say a word, fiddling with the towels in her hands.

"You're worrying." He stated. She nodded, there was no point in denying it.

"Why?" he looked sincerely confused.

She continued fiddling with the towels until Jason grabbed her hands. "I don't want to ruin the mood." She muttered.

"You already ruined it by worrying." He responded, although his face was soft and his hands gently held hers. Alexia sighed, "True."

"Tell me?"

"I'm just worried he'll do something to fuck this up, you know? This is the first time in very long we've been happy. It's the first time we've been... we. Us." God, since when had she turned into such an emotional, pissy bitch? She used to despise women who cried and heckled about everything, yet she turned out to be the worst out of all of them.

"Alexia..." Jason narrowed his eyes, averting his gaze. She knew he didn't like talking about it.

"I know, I know, no worries, everything will be fine." She quickly lipped, but Jason's jaw was already clenched and she could feel the anger radiating off him.

"First of all, we'll always be us. No matter what, yeah?" he hissed with a slightly forceful undertone. When she didn't reply right away—due to her staring at his slightly swollen lips, nothing else—he took in a sharp breath, his eyes visually darkening. "I know I left you."

"No Jase—"

"I know I left you." He stressed, cutting her off. "And I'm not happy with it, but I don't regret it either. I had to try."

Alexia didn't want to hear this. She, in no way, intended on opening up this subject. The hesitation that had kept her from answering was nothing more than her gawking at his beauty and not paying attention. Softly, she took his big hand into her own and caressed the palm of his hand. He seemed on edge.