Ash x Serena // AmourShipping

(I promise the next oneshot will actually have a plot I'm so sorry)

Ash's POV~

I didn't realize I loved her until she was gone.

Through all the happy memories I've shared with different people I've met on my journey, some stood out more than others. If you'd asked me which ones, I'd reply with a single set of three- Misty, Brock, and Gary. But somehow, after traveling all those regions and finding that all of them were nothing compared to home, another name made its way on my selective list.

Serena.

She was something else, something different. All of the people I'd met were anything but ordinary, but what made her stand out? I couldn't find the answer to that question for so long, so why did it only hit me now? After she yelled at me that she couldn't take it anymore, that she tried so hard to get her emotions across but I was too dense to realize, that it hurt too much for her feelings to be unrequited, she finally left. She walked out of my life and disappeared.

Why was that when I realized? The only time I had felt this emptiness was at the start of a new region when I'd left my best friends behind. Now it was coming back again, and somehow I knew this time it wasn't going away.

So I ran. I ran faster than I ever had towards where I knew she had gone. I left Pikachu and Clemont and Bonnie behind and made a mental promise to come back for them later but not even caring because my mind and my heart were elsewhere. They were with her. I was just going to get them back.

It wasn't as easy as I had made it out to be, seeing all the people around me pushing and shoving their way through the busy place. Faces passed me in a blur but I knew she was here, hiding alone in a crowded room. Really, there was only one solution.

"Serena!" I yelled, earning a few skeptical glances. I looked around to see if her head had risen at the sound of her name and only grew more frustrated when it didn't.

"SERENA!" I repeated louder, a couple people even stopping just to stare me down with an annoyed and confused look. The area was quieter now, and I knew wherever she was, she was silently cursing me.

"ALRIGHT! I'll stop screaming when you come out then!" I announced, full-on screaming a single pitchy note at the top of my lungs, earning many dirty looks and pointing fingers. Only I had the guts to make a fool of myself in public like this. I didn't know if that was a gift or a curse, but I decided on the former when a hand reached out to pull my arm back while another covered my smug grin to silence me.

"Are you insane?!" the blonde girl scolded me, her voice a harsh whisper. She bowed slightly to the crowd that had formed, dismissing them and ensuring that everything was indeed alright. "Screaming in a public place like that just to get someone's attention? Ash, who does that?"

"Me, obviously," I answered, my smug grin turning into a softer smile as I saw the corners of Serena's lips rise. She tried to fight them, but to no avail. She was smiling, and Arceus, was it beautiful. Blinding, even.

"And for what?" she asked in a softer tone than the harsh one she'd used before. The answer was obvious, but somehow I was at a loss for words. How do I explain that I realized my feelings after unknowingly rejecting her for so long without seeming like I've been stringing her along all this time?

"Because I'm dumb," I answered finally, and Serena gave me a look like that statement was obvious. "And blind. And stupid. And crazy, flat-out dense, wrapped up in everything but you."

"It's alright," she said with a sad smile, releasing her grip from my arm where it still stood. She took a step back, looking up with hidden sorrow shining through her eyes. "I know there's nothing I can do to change your mind. You're such a great... friend trying to get me to come back, but there's nothing either of us can do now. You see? It's better this way."

"And I'm the oblivious one?" I half-laughed, heaving a sigh when she gave me a confused look. "What do I have to do to get my point across to you? Are words not enough?"

I cut myself off as I realized the answers to my own questions. I knew exactly what I had to do; it was more obvious than the undoubted pining from both ends of a supposed one-sided love. No, words weren't enough. I could go on talking all day, and Serena would still refuse to hear me out, vice versa. We were both stubborn, controlled by impulses, and my impulses told me to kiss the girl in front of me like there was no tomorrow.

I was stubborn, controlled by impulses. So I did exactly what they told me.

Not once did a passing thought of the unavoidable consequences and strained aftermath cross my mind from the time I was leaning down to the time our lips parted. I couldn't recall what happened in the time between, only that I carried through with my gut feeling and Serena had returned the favor.

"It feels like I've waited for that forever," she said finally, and I felt the same. Even if I hadn't met Serena until fairly recently and the idea of romance rarely crossed my mind, the sudden choice I had made and followed through with seemed to lift a now satisfied weight off my accustomed shoulders. I hadn't even known it was there, but the world felt so much lighter now that it was gone.

"Come back," I smiled, taking the girl's hand and pulling her along as I took a few steps back. "Let's take on Kalos in a way we hadn't before."

Her nod in response was all I needed to ensure myself that this new journey within an old one would be one to remember.