Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

By the time morning came, the rain still hadn't stopped pouring down. Denali stared out the water-stained window that took up most of the wall. Her mind never stopped racing ever since she had woken up at four in the morning. She looked at he commlink and saw that it was eight now. Four hours till Lama Su's assistant would pick them up to go meet Mr.Fett, the bounty hunter. Denali was about to lift her white mug of coffee to her lips, but another hand stopped her.

"You need to get some rest." Obi-Wan spoke kindly as she slowly set down her cup. "You've lost a lot of sleep, it's not good for you." He told her in a soft, concerned tone. Denali noticed how different he looked when he wasn't wearing his Jedi robes. Instead, he was wearing a white t-shirt, pants, and socks. She could tell that he was thinking the same about her. She was wearing the same outfit. The Kaminoans hadn't given them anything else to wear, so they had to deal with what they could.

"You need it, too." Denali said to him. She was right. He hadn't gotten much sleep either. When she'd woken up, so had he. And he was intent with staying by her no matter how much pain she was in. He didn't need a sleeping break. What he needed was to be by his wife's side in her time of need.

"I'm fine." Obi-Wan told her as he sat down in a kitchen chair across from her.

"So am I." She stated, not even looking at him. He reached out and took her hand, holding it in his. He stood up, knelt beside her on one knee so that they were eye-level, then gently lifted her chin up with his free hand so that her eyes were looking into his.

"Denali, please. I know something's wrong. I want to help." He spoke to her in that same, soft, concerned tone. She was silent for a moment, then sighed. She stood up, pushing her chair in. Obi-Wan was slightly disappointed that she had let go of his hand, but he pretended it didn't bother him. She took a deep breath, then began to pace back and forth across the room.

"Anakin is....he's been.....Well, it's hard to explain." she said with a sigh.

"Well, then start at the beginning. It's obvious you had a nightmare, so what exactly did you see?" Obi asked her as he sat back in his chair, watching her pace. She crossed her arms.

"Alright. When my nightmare started, Anakin was sleeping in his bed on Naboo. He woke up, gasping for air and sweating. His blankets and pillows were soaked in sweat, and his entire body seemed to be drenched. He sat up and grabbed something off of the small table beside his bed."

"What was it he took?" Obi-Wan asked. Denali was silent for a second.

"He took the little trinket I had made for him ten years ago." she said, closing her eyes. Before Obi-Wan could speak, she continued. "He held it close to him for a second, then smashed it against the wall. Hours of my time creating that small model, gone." Obi-Wan stood up at the sound of the pain in her voice. She could feel tears starting to work their way to the surface.

"What was he thinking? What could possibly make him want to do such a hurtful thing?" she asked in between sobs. Obi-Wan hugged her, knowing that she was in pain. He couldn't believe his padawan had done such an awful thing. He couldn't believe that his padawan had purposely hurt her when he had openly told his master that he had feelings for her.

The assistant arrived a few hours later. Within that time, Denali had changed out of her pajamas and into her Jedi robes, eaten some fruit for breakfast, and meditated for a few minutes. Obi-Wan had done the same things, except he didn't meditate. During that time, he'd thought about his wife and his padawan. It was hard for him to comprehend the information that had been set before him. It seemed difficult to take in all the facts.

"Boba, is your father here?" the assistant asked as a young boy answered the door to the apartment they were standing outside of. Denali looked down at the small boy. He definitely was one of the clones, the only difference being that he was younger. Way younger. Denali knew that he was probably six years old, maybe seven at the most. He had dark eyes, brown hair, and wore blue and red clone scrubs.

"Yeah, who are you?" he looked up at the female Jedi. She smiled and extended her hand.

"I'm Denali Bleway. It's a pleasure to meet you, Boba." she said as he shook her hand. His jaw dropped.

"You're Denali Bleway? Are you related to Danik Bleway by any chance?" Boba asked her. Denali could feel Obi-Wan tense up through the Force by the sound of her brother's name. But she pretended not to notice. Denali nodded, the smile not disappearing from her face.

"Yes. Danik is my big brother. Why do you ask?" she asked him as they entered the small apartment. Obi-Wan and the Kaminoan followed her inside. The apartment was small and looked similar to the one Denali and Obi-Wan had stayed in the night before. White walls, white furniture, it was all identical.

"My dad tells me all about you." Boba said with a smile on his face. Obi-Wan was shocked for a moment, then became very suspicious. The two Jedi knew that this man was obviously the bounty hunter they were looking for. The fact that he knew who Denali was made a red light flash in their minds. The two knew from that point on that they needed to be extra careful.

"How does your father know who I am?" Denali asked as they entered the kitchen.

"Danik told me all about you the last time I saw him." a voice said. They turned around and saw a man in the hallway behind them. He had a white dishrag in his hands and was drying them off. He shouldered the rag and extended his hand.

"I'm Jango Fett. It's a pleasure to meet you, Denali. Your brother speaks very highly of you." Jango said as she put his hand in his. But instead of shaking it, he bent down and pressed his lips against her knuckles. She could feel herself blushing, a smile on her face, as she set her hand back down at her side.

"So I hear. Your army is quite magnificent, Mr.Fett. You should be very proud." Denali said. Obi-Wan was getting even more angry as the seconds rolled by. But he did his best to contain his emotions, taking a deep hidden breath.

"Indeed, I am. I see you've met my son, Boba." Jango said, gesturing to the little boy before them,

"Yes, he's quite the gentleman." Denali said with a smile as she looked over at Boba. The young boy smiled, blushing.

"So I hear you're a bounty hunter." Obi-Wan said, wanting to switch to the subject, get the information they needed, and leave as fast as possible.

"Yes, I am." Jango answered.

"How has your job been treating you?"

"Quite well. I get to see alot of the universe, it leads me wherever a bounty needs payed."

"Does it lead you as far as Coruscant?" Obi-Wan asked, finally getting to the root of the interrogation. They glared at each other for a moment. The room was filled with an awkward silence. Then Jango answered.

"Possibly." Suddenly Obi-Wan's commlink began to beep.

"I'm afraid I need to answer this. It was a pleasure meeting you, Jango." Obi-Wan said.

"It was great to meet you as well, Master Jedi. And especially you, Denali. I'll be sure to tell Danik how you're doing the next time I see him." Jango said with a smile as they shook hands once again.

"Yes, please do that. It was a pleasure to meet you as well, Jango." she knelt down beside Boba. "And you too, Boba. I hope we get to see each other again." she told the young boy. He grinned as she extended her hand to him. But instead of shaking it, he jumped up and wrapped his arms around her. She was startled for a moment, but chuckled and hugged the young boy back.

"I hope we get to see each other again as well, Denali." the little boy said as he let go of her. She stood up, happy that she had met Boba. He seemed like a nice boy. She felt bad that he would be raised by a bounty hunter, but Jango seemed alright as well. Maybe he wasn't the bounty hunter, maybe they had made a mistake.

But she knew that that was too much to hope for.