Chapter 4: Friends

Start from the beginning

Seriously? He expected me sit there? Had he lost his freaking mind?

There was no chance in hell I was taking a seat at that table. I made my way towards the exit doors that lead outdoors to an eating area with a few picnic tables. Sure it was where the loners sat, but I was starting to feel more and more like one.

I dashed towards the exit and took one last glance at Brett before I pushed through the doors, greeted by the calming summer heat. Confusion was written all over his face as he watched me leave.

Each picnic table was occupied by one person, either eating lunch while reading a book or scrolling through their phone. I spotted an empty table in the corner under the shade of a tree and headed towards it.

Placing my sandwich and water in front of me, I took out my book and began to read to pass the next hour.

One page in and a shadow hovered over me, blocking the light from the sun.

I knew it was him before I even looked up.

"You'd rather sit out here in the sun than eat inside with me?" Brett was pouting as I rolled my eyes. He stood in front of me with his arms crossed and one foot planted on the table's bench, eyes squinted as the sunlight hit his face.

"I'd rather sit out here in the sun than eat inside at a table I don't belong at." I fired back, placing the bookmark in my book before setting it down on the table.

"Dammit," he raked his hand through his hair as he swore under his breath. "I didn't even think about that, Becca. I'm sorry." He let out a long breath and by the look of surprise on his face, I could tell his apology was sincere. Suddenly, Brett turned around and began to walk towards the cafeteria doors before I could say anything.

"Where are you going?" I called after him but he was already inside, my voice was lost in the wind.

Rolling my eyes, I picked up my book and took a bite of my sandwich. I never minded eating lunch alone and I wouldn't start now. People may begin to question the validity of our 'relationship' but screw it, I wasn't going to sit at that table and that was final.

I heard the squeak of the cafeteria doors pushing open again and looked up. Brett was heading my way holding a tray of food, his bag slung over one shoulder. A look of triumph dawned his face as he marched towards me, grinning.

I smiled. I couldn't help it.

"Did you really expect me to let my girlfriend eat out here alone?" His voice sounded disgusted as he said the last word and I laughed at his performance. He slung his leg over the bench and sat down in front of me, taking a big bite out of his hamburger.

"You know," I whispered, leaning in closer so no one would hear us, "I'm not actually your girlfriend."

He pouted, a fry hanging out of his mouth. "Stop ruining all the fun," he whined.

I laughed again. I seemed to do that a lot around him.

"Fun?" I repeated, my voice sounding exhausted. "That is so not the word I would use to describe what I've endured today."

I hated the edge in my voice but I couldn't help it. Sure, maybe this was easy for him. Brett was used to the attention and constant staring, after all. I, on the other hand, was not. I liked living in the shadows, I didn't belong in the spotlight.

His face suddenly turned serious. His jaw tensed and his knuckles formed into fists on both sides of his lunch tray. "What happened?" His voice lost its playful tone and was replaced by one of pure anger. "Who gave you a hard time? Was it Jenny? I swear to God..." His voice trailed off as he began to get up. I knew what would happen next: he would storm back into the cafeteria and demand answers until he found out who bothered me and made sure they faced the consequences.

(RIVALS) The Upside of Falling ✔️On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara