Chapter Thirty. June & July

CHAPTER THIRTY

Paul took the girl's money and gave her the lifejacket to put on. They stood in four foot of water as he helped her put on the skis.

'Lean back and float, let the skis point up and hold onto the tow rope.' Paul gave the blond girl from Germany the rope handle. 'Keep your arms straight. As you start to move, lift your bum out of the water and stand up.' Paul jumped into the boat, pushed the control forward and let the boat move slowly until the rope became tight. Turning the power up gradually, he signalled the girl to stand up, and in seconds she was skiing. Initially terrified, she gained in confidence with Paul making a straight line out of the bay. As he turned the speed boat in an arc, the girl crashed.

This was not unusual and Paul brought the boat round, gave her further instructions, and repeated the take-off. Ten minutes later, she glided into the shallow water of the beach, released the rope and got help with her skis from her enthusiastic family. Paul got the boat back into position for the next person.

'Can I ride with you,' pleaded the girl, as Paul got her friend ready with the lifejacket.

He nodded.

In the boat she excitedly asked questions and shouted at her friend skiing behind the boat. Her continual glances at Paul sent a message that she was available. Paul could tell straight away which girls were interested in him, it happened several times each week. The combination of sun, sand and alcohol were to blame. But Paul let these infatuations go over his head.

During a break, Paul went to the taverna kitchen to drink water.

Callia came in. 'You have girls fluttering around you today,' she said, 'like butterflies.' Callia laughed.

'Can't think why.'

'Ooo ah. Young man, handsome, sun tanned, muscles in all the right places. You are not stupid.'

'They don't know I have a girlfriend.'

'They don't care,' said Callia, 'but we'll make sure you do nothing to lose your honour.'

Paul knew this as friendly banter from Callia, but he also knew she, and the family, would not want to see Paul take a girl into the woods.