I looked up to see what the big deal was. That was when I saw him.

Oh.

There he was, decked out in his navy blue varsity jacket that stretched over his broad shoulders, black ripped jeans, with his backpack slung lazily over one shoulder.

"How's it going, Mrs. C?" His voice was deep and flirty as he gave her one of his killer smiles, exposing his perfect white teeth, before sauntering over to his seat. She looked up from her book and I swear her cheeks turned red. Gross.

I don't blame her though, really. Brett Wells had that affect on everyone. He was captain of the football team and the most adored guy in school. He was a jock in every sense of the word, but he wasn't your typical stereotype. He was actually nice, always smiling and willing to make conversation, regardless of who he was speaking to. His friendliness and easy manner was captivating, it's what made people drawn to him.

He kicked the chair out from under his desk and placed his bag beside it. Slowly, he removed his jacket, exposing a tight black t-shirt that molded his impressive chest. The girls in front of me were giggling non-stop. He looked up and winked at them, his blue eyes twinkling with mischief as he ran a hand through his golden hair.

Snap out of it.

What was wrong with me today? I usually wasn't this distracted, especially not in class.

Mrs. Copper rose from her desk when the bell rang and stood in front of the class, beginning to speak about Romeo and Juliet. I guess that's the first book we would be studying.

As she spoke, my eyes drifted back to Brett. He was gorgeous, but not in a perfect, out-of-this-world way. His features were rugged and strong. His bronze hair was brushed back, with a few pieces falling forwards onto his face and covering his big, blue eyes. His eyebrow was turned down and his plump, pink lips were pursed as he watched Mrs. Copper drown on and on about Shakespeare. His face was a mask of confusion. It was adorable.

That was the thing about Brett, why he was admired by everyone at Eastwood: he was genuinely a good guy. He didn't sleep around or treat girls like objects. He didn't goof-off in class and cause havoc in the hallways (like the rest of the football team did). He was a good student, always in class and paying attention, asking questions or answering them. He was always smiling, every movement of his seemed care-free. He was completely comfortable in his own skin and, just by being around him, it made you feel the same way.

But, the most surprising thing about Brett Wells was his history with girls. Or, I should say, his lack of one.

Through all four years of high school he never had a serious girlfriend. Sure, he was a flirt and always surrounded by beautiful girls, especially the cheerleaders, but he was never in a serious relationship.

I broke out of my trance when I heard Mrs. Copper calling my name. Looking up, I realized the entire class was watching me as I stared at Brett.

Oh. My. God.

My cheeks immediately turned bright red. How long has everyone been watching me?! I wanted to sink into a hole and die.

"Miss. Hartwell? If you're done with your daydream, I would appreciate if you answered my question." Her arms were crossed firmly over her chest as she stared at me, clearly annoyed by my utter lack of attention.

Did she say daydream? I wanted to scream.

Everyone was staring at me, covering their mouths as their shoulders shook with silent laughter. Brett glanced over his shoulder at me, his eyes twinkling with laughter as his lips formed into a teasing, lopsided grin. He winked at me before turning his attention back to the front of the class.