Substitute (Mikey Imagine)

Requested by- @mafaldap23

I was tuning my guitar when my friend, Frank, burst through my front door.

My guitar fell to the ground, and I jumped to my feet, relaxing when I see it's only him, "Christ, Frank! I thought you were a murderer or something!" I shout, my heart beating hard in my chest.

He shoves his hands in his pockets while he walks over to me, "Well, the voices are getting louder..." He stares ahead of him. I raise my eyebrows at him and chuckle.

"But seriously, what are you here for?" I ask, picking my guitar up off the ground. I look at it, seeing one of the strings broke when I dropped it, "Fuck." I mutter under my breath.

He plops down on the couch with me, slinging his arm around my shoulder and resting his feet on my coffee table, "I need a favor."

"I am not sucking another guy's dick to get you cocaine!" I sigh, sliding away from him.

He pulls me back, "I only asked you one time! Get over it! But that's not what I want."

I roll my eyes at him, "Then what do you want?"

"Well, the guys and I need you to fill in for Ray during our band practice today and for the next couple of practices. He broke two of his fingers."

I sigh in relief. Frank usually asks me to do crazy stuff. Sucking dick for cocaine being one of them. Helping him get his dog off the roof is another. "Yeah, I can do that." I nod, and he smiles.

"Thanks, Y/N. You're great. Practice starts at-"

"5:30. I know the drill."

***

I open up Gerard's garage door, seeing all the guys sitting around.
"Hey, Y/N!" Mikey greets happily.

I wave, "Hey, guys."

I close the door and drop my coat on the floor.

Gerard walks up to me, "Thanks for substituting again."

"Oh, no problem, Gee."

Frank hands me Ray's guitar, and I can see Mikey grabbing his bass from the corner of my eye, "Ready to start?"

I nod and grab a pick, checking to see if Ray's guitar is in tune, which it is. I plug it into an amp, ready to play.

"We're gonna start off with Thank you for the Venom, okay Y/N?" Gerard says.

"Yep. That's cool." I answer, the chords popping into my mind as I arrange my fingers on the strings. I start strumming down, but I notice something is missing.
"Hold on, stop!" Gerard turns around to face me, Mikey, Bob and Frank, "Mikey, you gotta play. C'mon, man, you know this."

"Sorry." Mikey mumbles, shaking his head.

Gerard turns back around, "Okay, let's try this again."

I start strumming the strings again, and this time Mikey plays. That was the first time I ever saw him mess up. He's the greatest bass player I know.

I start getting into the song and start head banging to the beat. I turn ever so slightly, and catch Mikey staring at me. When he realizes I caught him, he freezes, and the bass fades out.

"Mikey!" Gerard stops singing, and the rest of us stop playing.

"I'm sorry, Gee!" Mikey whines, looking down.

I walk over to him and rest my hand on his shoulder, "Something on your mind, Mikes?"

"N-no. Just a little out of it." He shakes his head, his cheeks starting to blush.

I just smile at him before walking back to where I was.

"Do you need a break?" Gerard asks him in an understanding tone.

Mikey shakes his head, "No, I'll get it right this time. I promise."

We start the song up again, and once again, I see Mikey staring at me. I can't tell if it's out of admiration or lust, but I hope it means he likes me the way I like him. The only reason I ever agreed to substitute one of the band members was so I could hang out with him.

We make it through the song, and Gerard turns back to us, glaring at Mikey, "You better not fuck up like that at the concert tonight."

My eyes widen, "What? Frank said you guys only needed me for practice!"

Gerard snaps his head towards Frank, "You said she agreed to play tonight!"

"You on your period today, Gee? Cut the 'tude." Frank snaps, crossing his arms over his chest.

There's always a catch with Frank.

***

My anxiety hitches as the screams of fans can be heard from the dressing room. The guys are used to this, but I've never played in front of anyone besides them.

10,000 people are waiting for us to perform. 10,000.

Mikey sees I'm nervous and walks over to me, "I know it's scary with so many people. Just... keep your eyes on me, okay? You don't even have to look at them." He smiles. Butterflies fill my stomach as I get lost in his sparkling hazel eyes.

"O-okay."

"Time to go on!" Frank calls while grabbing his guitar.

We all walk out onto the stage, and the fans scream louder than before.

"Hello, New Jersey!" Gerard screams into the microphone.

They scream and camera flashes go off.

"We are My Chemical Romance!" He shouts, "Tonight, our good friend Y/N is filling in for Ray because he broke a couple of fingers. Show her some love!"

Damn it, Gerard. You just had to put the attention on me. The fans scream and cheer. They scream at everything he says until we start playing. We start the concert off with I'm Not Okay.

I watch Mikey, feeling nauseous at all the people staring at me.

Soon enough, the concert comes to an end, and we finish off with Summertime. As we're halfway through the song, Mikey starts walking over to me.

"You can run away with me, anytime you want!" Gerard sings as Mikey places his hands on the sides of my face. My eyes widen as he leans in, and our lips connect. The screaming of the fans fades away as I wrap my arms around his shoulders, and it only feels like it's me and him.

"Anytime you want."