Chapter 30 - "I just forgot that, he's Sebastian Colfax."

Start from the beginning

"Come on Charlie, I want to know what happened," Amelia pleaded.

His shoulders sagged and he walked back to the family room, slumping into the arm chair.

"She's perfect Aims. I mean seriously, the woman doesn't have a single flaw. I thought that maybe she would be someone different when we left New York. I have no idea why. But she was still amazing. She's brilliant, funny and beautiful and it terrifies me."

Charlie put his head in his hands, his voice becoming muffled.

"Seriously, Aims I really like this girl and have absolutely no idea what to do about it. I thought of asking her out but I'm constantly busy. She deserves everything and I feel completely inadequate to give it to her. Do you know what I'm saying?" Charlie asked, looking up at her.

"My dearest Charles. I think she's less needy than you think she is. And I know she's more willing to agree to dating you than you think."

"I'm just terrified," he said with a shaky laugh, looking into his hands.

He fell back into the chair, his eyes going skyward.

"Where's mom you need her? I could use some of her advice right now."

The room filled with a heavy silence as voices from the past edged forward. Amelia sighed breaking the moment.

"I missed you, Aims."

"I missed you too Charlie. And I don't know what mom would say right now. But I know she would tell you not to be afraid of stepping out into something that feels scary."

Charlie nodded and stood. He stepped over to her and kissed the top of her head.

"Thanks Aims. I am going to go sleep. The long drive is catching up with me," he said.

She nodded and his footsteps faded and died behind the closed door. Amelia sat with the ghosts of her parents for a second longer, watching the clouds cry relentless over the city.

*****************

The front door banged open and Poppy walked over to the arm chair, tossed herself on to it.

"Aims, I'm in love!" she said dramatically.

Amelia sat bolt upright, fixing Poppy with a shocked expression.

"Oh calm yourself Aims. I'm talking about London. I've missed it so much. I have no idea why my parents ever decided to leave it, its so wonderful. William took me everywhere. We went to the theater."

"We have theaters here."

"He took me driving up the coast."

"We have a coast here."

"We explored the city together, walking everywhere. No matter what the weather and had lunch in pubs. It was perfect."

Poppy's eyes were unfocused, lost in a jumble of happy thoughts.

"Earth to Poppy, anything else you want to tell me...I don't know...Like how you're in love with my best friend."

Poppy jerked upward a clear look of defense shrieking across her face.

"Can't blame you really, any girl in London, no the whole of England would be over the moon for a guy like Will." Amelia shrugged carelessly. "Though you're the only girl he's ever spent that much time with."

The comment had the desired effect, Poppy's whole manner shifted and melted into barely contained smugness.

"Its a pity you don't like him. Will called and let slip that he kind of liked you, though I could be mistaken. Oh well. He'll move on eventually. I'm hungry you want some cereal?" Amelia asked, standing.