Chapter 30 - "I just forgot that, he's Sebastian Colfax."

Amelia pushed open the apartment door, her clothes clinging to her body and chilling her skin. She pulled off her sodden shoes and left them to drown quietly by the door, along with her socks. Stepping lightly she made it to her room without slipping, but trailed behind her a stream of rain drops.

Dry clothes encasing her, she left her room, walking back to the main area and pausing at the sight of a suitcase.

"Charlie?"

His door opened and he walked out, a towel working its way through his tangle of wet hair.

"Aims!"

He pulled her into a hug and she laughed. A cough from behind her startled them apart.

"Hey Amelia," Natalie said, smiling.

"Hi Nat."

Amelia's eyes jumped to Charlie raising her eyebrows questioningly.

"We were just unloading the suitcases when it started raining and we had parked two blocks away. I figured Natalie would like to change into dry clothes before heading home," Charlie said, meeting Amelia's smirk with a pointed look.

"Okay. Well since you're here Nat, you want to stay for tea? I need something warm," Amelia said.

"Sure," Natalie said.

"Might as well make toast too, and eggs. I'm starving," Charlie said.

They crowded into the kitchen, bustling around each other in the cramped space and adding another layer of warmth to the apartment with hot toast, tea and their easy conversations. Rain drops dashed themselves against the window, leaving rivers of water running down the glass. The thundering roar of the storm and the constant pattering of the droplets became the soundtrack to the stories Charlie and Natalie shared of D.C.

"I have to head home, but thank you both for such a wonderful time. I've never had this much fun on a rainy day before," Natalie said, cheerily.

"Then you should always come over when it rains because this is pretty normal for us," Charlie joked.

"Is that an open invitation?" she asked, coyly.

Charlie's words got caught in his throat at the look on her face and he swallowed hard.

"Yes it is," Amelia said, stealing the words from Charlie's mind.

Natalie smiled at Amelia in a conspiratorial way.

"Thanks for coming to D.C. with me, I mean all of us, Charlie. You definitely saved the trip from being boring at times. I'll see you Monday," Natalie said, moving to the door.

Amelia turned on her brother, shoving his shoulder and giving him a pointed nod toward Natalie. He jumped into action and hurried to the door, managing to open it for her with a dimpled smile.

"See you Monday Nat. And thanks for inviting me."

Charlie closed the door slowly and stood there motionless. Amelia leaned over the back of the couch.

"So Romeo, how did the trip really go?" Amelia asked.

Charlie started, glaring at her. Amelia raised her eyebrows suggestively.

"So..."

Charlie gave his watch a quick look.

"Well its late, and I had a long day, I think I'm just going to call it a night and head to bed," Charlie said.

"Charles Robert Dawson if you leave without telling me what happened I swear I will tell Natalie you like her."

Angrily he faced her, body tense as if fighting the urge to just ignore he threat and leave anyways.