Chapter 10: Control

Magsimula sa umpisa

Shiro gazed at him for a brief moment before nodding and murmuring a “hai.” The white-haired samurai then lowered her eyelids, breathing heavily through her nose as her forehead creased in concentration. She felt her heartbeat pumping inside her chest, faint but present. She felt the warm blood rushing throughout her body, sending the thick liquid from her chest all the way down to her toes. For a moment she felt nothing but the beating of her heart and the wind that rustled her long white hair.

Something started to stir inside her; her chest felt warmer than ever as her eyebrow raised in confusion. It was another sort of substance besides blood or pounding muscle; it was more of a surge of a certain roar, an essence that couldn't possibly be tamed. She gasped from this sensation, stunned by its aura.

“Do you feel it?” Itachi asked, noticing her change of expression.

“I do...” Shiro murmured, fluttering her eyes open once more. Her onyx hues glistened in the pale morning beams that streamed through the mouth of the dark, damp cavern. “It feels quite refreshing.”

“You've been storing up all of the Chakra since you were born,” the shinobi said. “Now hold this piece of paper in your fingers like this and focus the energy to your hands.”

Itachi handed the square sheet of paper to Shiro, but as the paper touched the girl's fingertips, it immediately crumbled to dirt. Itachi stared at the small pile of dust on the ground, his crimson eyes wide.

G-gomen'nasai,” Shiro gasped, jumping back a little. “I-I don't know what happened...it just crumbled! Is it supposed to do that?”

Itachi slow rose his scarlet eyes to meet Shiro's onyx ones, which were shimmering and wide with guilt.

“The paper reacts to Chakra,” Itachi explained as he analyzed her through his Sharingan. “Depending on the person's Chakra nature, the paper turns to a different substance. For example, if I flowed my Chakra into the paper, it would grow damp and catch fire, since I possess Katon and Suiton. However, I have to focus my Chakra into it; you on the other hand, it disintegrated the moment it fell into contact with your fingers.”

Shiro just stared at him with her round eyes.

“So...what does that mean?”

“It means you possess Doton, or Earth Style.” Itachi blinked his eyes, deactivating his Sharingan. “And it seems your Chakra is overflowing from your entire body, like steam pressurizing, attempting to find an escape from an air-tight steel container.”

Doton...” Shiro whispered curioiusly. “What does that do?”

“Essentially, you have the ability to change and manipulate the composition of earth. For example, if you take a rock and focus your Chakra into it, you can either make it melt into clay or harden to steel; you can do whatever you desire to that chunk of rock, as long as you have enough Chakra.”

“I see...”

“But seeing as you're primarily a sword user, it'd be wise to combine both of your Chakra nature and blade wielding into one technique.”

“But Itachi-san,” Shiro interjected, reaching out her hand, “what could I possibly do with my Chakra nature? I'm not a ninja, and there's practically nothing I can do to combine both elements into one technique.”

“I've never encountered a samurai before,” Itachi admitted, stuffing his hands into his pockets. “So all I have to say is to get creative. You'll have to learn how to control your use of Chakra first before anything else, since your jutsu will revolve around your Earth Style.”