F I V E

It had been 8 days since I saw Dan and I was trying not to worry. I know that he's probably just with his friend and hopefully happier than he was here. He was only here a few days anyway, I shouldn't be freaking out. I don't even know him. I shouldn't be worried.

Looking over to the empty spot on the couch, I sighed before standing up and going to my photography room. I grabbed my camera and started to walk, before remembering the pictures Dan and I had taken. I looked around the neat photography room but I couldn't find them anywhere. There were so many pictures I didn't even remember taking scattered around the room, yet the ones I wanted couldn't be found.

I finally gave up, slipping on my shoes and leaving the apartment. I wonder if he took them with him... No, that's stupid, why would he take them?

I watched my shadow dance down the street once again. This time it didn't whisper to me, it didn't rant about the Darkness or the Light. This time I only heard small mumbles, but I couldn't tell if that was my shadow or my own mind. My mind plays tricks on me often.

Walking into the local mini market, I grabbed a drink and a bag of crisps. After paying I went out and sat on the sidewalk, putting my face in my knees. I ate some of the snack I had just bought, remembering that I hadn't eaten much of anything in the past few days. I pulled out my phone and headphones from my jacket's pocket before turning on Like Real People Do by Hozier.

'I knew that look dear
Eyes always seeking
Was there in someone
That dug long ago
So I will not ask you
Why you were creeping
In some sad way I already know
I will not ask you where you came from
I will not ask you and neither would you
Honey just put your sweet lips on my lips
We should just kiss like real people do'

I don't even know him and I'm not worried.

I stood back up, turning myself back in the direction of my apartment. This time I showed my shadow no attention. Impervious to the thoughts that normally occupy my mind, I kept walking and with every step my pace increased. I made it to my apartment building in either no time at all or I had such a detachment from time that I had no good idea of how long it had taken me to get there. Once I got to my door I stopped walking and dropped to my knees. My head fell to my hands and I started to sob. I shouldn't have let him go.

I woke up to someone shaking my shoulders. Looking around, confused as to who had waken me up, I realized I was still in the hallway. I looked up to see Dan hovering over me and I sighed quietly before saying, "Why'd you come back?"

"I-If it's a problem I can leave?" he mumbled, looking away.

"No, sorry, it's not a problem." I shook my head, scolding myself inside for my stupid reply to seeing him. "I'm just surprised."

"O-Oh okay..." Dan tilted his head, still obviously bewildered by my appearance.

"I- uh- passed out before I could get inside." I stood up slowly, coughing awkwardly.

"Mhm, I see that." Dan nodded slowly, watching me with a slightly amused expression.

"You should come in- I mean after I open my door, of course." I laughed slightly, shaking my head at myself. I unlocked my door, opening it for him and let him walk in first. I shut the door behind us, quickly walking over to the couch where I had strewn a bunch of photographs in my search for the ones I had taken with him, quickly gathering them in a stack and taking them back to my photography room.

"What were those?" I heard a soft voice ask from the living room.

"N-nothing, I just lost something and I was looking for it." I said in a short tone, watching him.

"These?" He smiled slightly, pulling the photographs I had been searching for out of his pocket and holding them up to show me.

"Y-yes." I nodded, walking over to look at them.

"I liked it too much to leave behind."

I nodded slow, looking down and sighing quietly. I walked into the kitchen, ignoring the feeling of Dan's eyes burning holes into my flesh.

I turned around, saying to Dan, "What is it that you want exactly, because I'm getting sick of the st-"

I looked around the living room to see that Dan had disappeared. I must really be losing my mind. I swear I felt him staring.

I stopped what I was doing and started to walk to the bathroom, thinking maybe he had just had to pee. I knocked but got nothing in reply. Trying to open the door, I realized it was locked and I panicked again. I started to run into the door trying to see if I could maybe break it open, and many tries later the door broke and flew open. Immediately, I saw Dan hunched over on the floor. But he wasn't crying, there wasn't blood, he wasn't shaking, he was completely still. I hunched down to his level and tried to gently tap his shoulder, but before my hand even reached his arm, he snapped his head in my direction and screamed as loud as one could. YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW ME. YOU DON'T KNOW ME PHIL. I DON'T KNOW YOU.

-

cliffhanger oooo fancy eep i really actually like where this story is going now guys it's getting good