Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

As Axel and I dance, I notice Blake wrapped up with another girl. I don't allow my gaze to linger in fear of him catching me out. Instead, I take a large sip from the cup and I feel the pain, more than I thought I would.

When I finish drinking, I spin around to find the punch. Despite my feet being firmly placed on the ground, the world continues to spin around me. One foot moves in front of the other as I place the cup on the table. One step later, I'm on the ground.

"Shit, Ava." I'm hauled into the air as Axel gabs me from the floor. "Are you okay?"

"I don't feel so good," I note.

"Here, let me take her." Axel passes me to Kyle and I rest my face on his chest and snuggle in. I think we're going outside but I notice we're walking up the stairs and groan.

"Take me to the garden," I say.

"We're closer to the toilet," replies Kyle.

"No." As I protest, the churning feeling in my stomach worsens. I clutch my stomach and leap into the bedroom. "Fuck the garden." I scramble into the bathroom and hug the toilet. Everything leaves my body except for the sickness feeling.

Dropping to the ground, I roll onto my back and look at the white ceiling. I burst into laughter which earns me a strange look from Kyle.

"What's wrong with you?" asks Kyle.

"The whole world, this." I wave my hands in the air.

"Sometimes it has to rain to see the rainbow," says Kyle.

"What if I can't see the rainbow?" I ask.

"You will, Ava. Just stop looking for it."

"Okay." I nod.

"I'll get you some water." Kyle leaves the bathroom and I stretch out on the cool tiles. I think about what he's said and my mind wanders to the rainbow theory and I scowl. I want to know when the fucking rainbow is coming because I've had enough of this bullshit for once.

There's some shuffling noise and then the bathroom door opens. Blake walks inside with a girl clinging to his side like a stink bug.

"Ava, are you okay?" he questions. Blake's shift in attention to little old me which earns me a funny look. I internally smile at her annoyance.

"Slowly dying," I answer.

"There's a bathroom next door," he tells her.

With an unimpressed look on the girl's face, she storms off. Blake walks further into the bathroom and scoops me off the floor.

"No, you don't have to do this," I say.

"You're sick, Ava, let me take care of you."

"But your booty call?" I frown.

"I like your booty better." He laughs.

"Good because I don't like her." My drunk self-informs her.

"Is that so?"

Blake places me on the bed and I snuggle into the pillow. When I don't get comfortable, I throw the pillow away. With a chuckle, Blake hands me another one and I get comfortable. Blake's pillow has always been lumpy and uncomfortable. I prefer the squishy one because it feels like I'm sleeping on a cloud.

"Sleepy Ava," I mutter under my breath.

Kyle returns to the bedroom with Axel following.

"What's happening?" Kyle inquires.

"Ava is tired," answers Blake.

"Be quiet." I hush.

"Is she going to be okay there?" Axel ponders.

Somehow, Tori pops up and lays on the bed beside me. She snuggles under the covers and steals them away from me.

"Don't worry boys, I'll look after her," Tori announces.

"Well, this is fucking weird. Both of my ex-girlfriends are in my bed," says Blake. I didn't want to point out the other things, so I roll onto my side and ignore the comment.

"Don't worry, Axel, you can head home if you like. Ava's mother is next door and she's the deso," responds Kyle.

"No worries, and thanks for having me, Blake," says Axel.

The three leave the room and Blake remains. He turns the lamp on and tucks me under the covers. He strides across the room and turns the bedroom light off. Before he leaves, Blake walks back to the bedside and stands before me.

"Thank you." I sigh happily.

"You're welcome," he replies.

"I love you," I mumble.

The air is quest but as he leans in to press a kiss against my forehead, I hear, "I love you too."

The weather might be stormy now, but perhaps Kyle is right. Maybe the rainbow is coming and I need to stop chasing after something that might already exist.  

Are you excited for Blake's POV?