27

Previously on Pure Happiness

"You've hurt my friends. I am perfectly aware of that, but I couldn't hurt you. I couldn't," Beth confessed.

~~~

It was four thirty when the strawberry blonde awoke. Elena had mentioned that Ric was going to teach her how to fight and she wanted in. However she did not inform the doppelganger of the urge and decided to surprise the two in the woods where she knew they would be.

So she got up and changed and headed for the woods and was there by five thirty. She walked over to the clearing where she heard Elena and Alaric talking once she had started walking closer. A surprised look came onto both of their faces once they saw the strawberry blonde.

"Beth, what are you doing here?" Alaric asked.

"I want to learn how to fight," Beth declared as she met the hunter's stare.

"Why?" He questioned.

"I... I killed someone, Ric," she confessed with guilt lacing her every word.

"What?" Elena breathed out.

"I killed someone. She was going to kill Stefan and the only thing I could do was scream, so I did. And that scream killed her. Her ears bled because I couldn't do anything else to stop her. I felt helpless, and I don't ever want to feel that way again. So I want to learn how to fight."

"Okay," Alaric nodded before giving her a weapon. "This goes in your sleeve. The pressure of your punch ejects the stakes."

"Okay," she muttered as she slipped the weapon into her arm.

"Punch this," Alaric said gesturing towards the mannequin that had been set up in the clearing.

"Alright, then," Beth huffed before she punched the target as hard as she could but it didn't work. The stakes didn't eject so she tried again but like the first time there was no difference. "I'm not strong enough, huh?" She asked with a laugh.

"No you're not. You're going to start lifting weights," he said bluntly.

"I'll get to that," she agreed right before Alaric through her a vervain grenade which she easily catched.

"Oh my god!" She exclaimed as it beeped in her hands before she threw it off into a tree. It exploded immediately. "Why?" She questioned as she tried to calm her breaths.

"Element of suprise. It's important."

~~~

After her time in the woods, Beth had gone back home to change before she met her friends before the first day of school but there they were at seven, standing in front of the school.

Bonnie, Caroline, Elena, and Beth all stood staring at the building on the first day of the last year of high school. "Our last first day of high school. After three years, it's here," Beth announced.

"Anyone else think it should feel slightly more empowering?" Bonnie questioned.

Caroline sighed, "Okay. So prank night was a bust. But we are accepting it, and we are moving on."