41

Previously on Pure Happiness

"I don't feel like myself. I'm the one who always takes care of others, but I'm tired. I'm exhausted of being the one who keeps it together. The one who always does the right thing for everyone but herself."

"Doing something for yourself once in a while is not selfish, Beth."

~~~

Later that night, Beth's phone rang, once again waking her. She quickly grabbed it and answered the call. "Hello?"

"Beth, did I wake you? I'm sorry, I didn't expect for you to be asleep so early."

"It's fine, Dad. What's wrong?"

"I have a business trip to just here in Georgia. But I really don't want to leave you alone."

"Dad, I'm fine. You don't have to worry about me."

"The flight leaves in 3 hours but I was hoping you would come with me. I know it's last minute. But I'll call the school first thing tomorrow and we'll only be gone a week at the most."

"You know what? Yes, I'll go."

"Really? Great! I'll pick you up. What friend are you staying with?

"No, Dad. It's fine. I'll go home myself."

~~~

A few days later, Beth was back in town. She felt guilty for her sudden escape but she had kept up with what had occurred the past few days. And it had been a busy week.

So much had happened to everyone, but as soon as she could, she headed to see the person that needed her the most. While she had been gone, Caroline had lost her father.

Caroline opened the door as soon as Beth rang the doorbell and before the strawberry blonde said anything, she brought her friend into a tight embrace.

Tears began to slip out of Caroline's eyes but Beth said nothing and just continued hugging her.

Caroline cried her eyes and parted herself from Beth. "Thank you," she said with a small smile.

Beth just slightly shook her head and looked at the blonde sadly, "I'm so sorry."

"Its okay. It's not your fault," she said with a shrug of her shoulder but her eyes watered as she talked.

"I should have been here for you."

"You had no idea this was going to happen and you're here now. You needed a break just like the rest of us and you were lucky enough to get one. I don't blame you."

"I know you don't. So how about I stay in with you tonight and we figure out something to do?" Beth suggested.

"Beth that sounds great but maybe another night. I just want to have some time to myself right now. So you go home and do what you need to do. You probably haven't even unpacked yet. So just go do that and don't worry about me. I'm okay. At least I will be soon," said Caroline.

"Okay. But hey, if you need anything or you decide you don't want to be alone, call me. At any time," Beth said. Caroline nodded in agreement before she was hugged by the strawberry blonde one last time.