00 • Prologue

Katherine Pierce slowly woke from her unconscious state. She heard a male voice chant in a language that she knew to be used by witches. She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion after looking around and had no idea where she was. Katherine looked over to where the voice was coming from and saw a man chanting as his hands were placed on the sides of someone else's head. But she couldn't see who it was due to the fact that he was facing the witch.

The memories of how she had gotten there were slowly returning, but her confusion remained. Finally, the witch stopped chanting and then bowed as the man who had been in the chair, stood. Katherine slowly began to stand, trying to see who it was.

"Alaric?" She asked after the tall man turned around to face her.

As soon as Alaric took a step towards her, she vamped sped to the door trying to escape but was stopped at the door by an invisible force. She sighed in defeat and turned back to face Alaric with a roll of her eyes.

"Zdravei, Katerina... I have missed you," he said as he cupped her face with his hands. At that moment, something clicked in the doppelganger and fear flooded her being.

"Klaus," she breathed out in realization.

~~~

The night had been torture for the Petrova doppelganger but she had no other choice but to deal with it. The night had passed and she was now sitting in a chair, watching the man who was supposed to be Alaric try to get ready to go 'his' job.

"Oh! Who is this guy, Safari Sam?" Klaus complained as he looked through Alaric's closet. He grabbed two shirts and then looked at Katherine. "Bad or badder?" He asked.

She gestured toward her preferred shirt and said, "The dark colors suit you better."

"Thank you, Honey. Okay, pop quiz! The dagger and white ash are in the Salvatore's possession, correct?"

"The dagger was used to kill Elijah. You can find him in the basement of the Salvatore house."

"That dagger needs to stay exactly where it is. The last thing I need to do is resurrect Elijah. That guy's a buzz kill," he breathed out in annoyance.

"Don't forget you're on the outs with your girlfriend, Jenna."

"Right. Elena's aunt. For all the lies about Isobel. What else?"

"That's it."

"I can tell your lying, Katerina. Tell me what it is you haven't said yet," he demanded.

She reluctantly obliged, "There's also this girl. Beth. She's nice and she's close to everyone. She even happened to grow on me."

"Is she involved?"

"Yes. She's the only one of them who isn't insufferable. Don't hurt her, Klaus," Katherine pleaded. She didn't want to see the happy and innocent young strawberry blonde get hurt.

"And why shouldn't I?" he asked with a devilish smirk.

"She could be useful. Some would call her the Wailing Woman."