Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen- Thanks Mom

I woke up, but refused to open my eyes. I was on my back with a soft surface beneath me. My hands were on top of my stomach and I felt a cool ring around each. I couldn't hear any noise except for the gently sound of the bus's engine propelling us through the air.

I opened my eyes and sat up slowly. I was back in the metal room I had been placed in the first time SHIELD took me hostage. I went to place my arms behind me and support myself with my hands, but the cold silver cuffs refrained me from doing so. I pulled on them a bit, but with no luck. I tried to freeze them, seeing if the ice could expand inside them enough to break them, but the metal became hot around my wrists. It stung a little when the ice melted, but I was fine. This was probably the work of Jemma and Fitz, which was unfortunate for me.

I scanned the edges of the room near the roof and spotted what I was looking for. I hadn't told any of the agents about my ability to shoot electricity or about my powers in general. They probably knew that I had once been able to do that, but I was fairly certain that they weren't sure just how much I remembered.

I shot a stream of light at the surveillance camera, or at least I tried. I hadn't gathered enough electricity to get it that far apparently, and I thought that sucked. Thor could get lightning anytime, anywhere and I couldn't get enough electricity to overload a basic security camera's circuitry. I took a chance and encased the camera in ice instead.

I focused on the handcuffs. They seemed just like the normal ones they show in movies or that I had seen cops use on the news. They were the tightest they could go to, but they still jingled around my hands. I pulled at them a bit and I twisted my wrists in a way I never recalled moving them before. With one fluid motion the cuffs were laying on the floor and I was free. I looked at my hands, a little stunned that when I tried, I could make my hand bend in a way that made it the same width of my wrist. Anything that could fit my wrists could be slipped off my hands.

After they had treated me like a dog to be looked after and caged, I really had no respect for these people. I knew we had our differences, but they had tranquillized me. Who just had tranquilizers and used them on people? I might have gotten a bit reckless, but I had my reasons for being that way. I shut my eyes and appeared in the chair in front of Phil's desk. He wasn't there. It was good to know that the room wasn't teleportation proof though.

Director Fury himself sat in Phil's chair. He gave me a slow clap and leaned forward onto the glass table top.

"That was quite a show Miss Coulson. Considering that your memory was wiped cleaner than Tony Stark's countertops you seemed to slip those specially made handcuffs pretty quick. I'm afraid your little disappearing act to Agent Couldon's office was a little to much for me, though. You shouldn't be able to do that, now should you?" He was calm when he spoke and his one eye stayed locked onto my own eyes.

"You shouldn't be able to manufacture human beings." I shot back at him. If he was going to speak that way, then I could too. He might as well sit back and take notes.

"But you're not exactly human are you? SHIELD can make it's own rules, we saved the world from an alien attack. I don't think many people would argue with us now."

"Well, I guess I'm your 'not many people'. I feel like I could take on the hulk." I smirked and decided to let the battle of wits begin.

"You are the hulk. You're also the rest of SHIELD's most powerful allies combined." He seemed done with my games, but I sure wasn't.

"Oh, so they're allies and I'm property? You seem to be mixing up a few words there, or have I been lied to again? Oh, I'm sorry. You agents seem to love calling it 'keeping secrets'. Am I right?" There was a strange exhilaration to taunting people like this.