Night Terrors

Note: Dedicated to @bubbiie :) I'm not sure if you're still on here or not but I hope you liked it! :)

A clap of thunder erupted from outside the prison walls and startled, I bolted upright in my bed. My breathing came faster and I put my hand on my chest to calm myself down. Breathe in, breathe out. But it wasn't working. Shadows seemed to jump out in the darkness that surrounded me. With shaking legs, I got up out of bed and made my way over the small barred window beside my bed.

The cool air hit my face and as I peered out into the pitch-black night, I let out a breath. It would be alright now. I just needed fresh air, that's all. Being closed up in the prison like this was safe but at times like these when it was stormy, it just scared me. The sound reverberated from the walls, making it seem louder somehow. Just as my heartbeat slowed down, a sudden strike of lightning lit up the enclosure surrounding the prison.

The bright flash of light illuminated the walkers that were gathered by the fence. Their skin was rotting, their teeth yellow and dirty, and blood splatters dotted their corpse-like faces. They were terrifying! I let out an involuntary shriek and ran out of my room. The cool cement floor beneath my bare feet made me run faster, the walkers' faces still in my mind. I noticed the curtain to Carl's cell was closed but I rushed over to it anyway.

Shoving the drapes aside, my eyes fell on Carl's sleeping form. His Sheriff's hat was set beside him on the floor and his unruly brown hair had fallen over his forehead. He looked like an angel. Suddenly, another clap of thunder sounded from outside and I whimpered, biting my lip. His electric blue eyes shot open before landing on me. He blinked groggily.

"What's wrong, Katie?" he asked, still half-asleep.

"I was just-" I started but another peal of thunder echoed in the tiny room, making me jump.

Carl became alert then and sat up in bed. He looked at me a moment before patting the sheets.

"Come on," he told me, gesturing for me to join him.

"I don't know. I mean, I'm fine. I just-" I began to say before getting cut off again.

I didn't waste any time running over to the bed then. I slid in beside Carl and he draped the blanket over my shaking form.

"Hey, it's okay," he cooed softly, gathering me up in his arms.

I held onto him tightly, my fingers digging into his worn t-shirt like he was my lifeline. He ran his slender fingers through my bright blonde hair, soothing me. Warm breath from his mouth heated my skin as he calmed me down just as thunder sounded outside again. I clung onto him tighter then and he spoke up.

"Storms still bother you, don't they?" he asked me softly and I nodded in response.

Ever since I'd known Carl back at the farm, I'd never been able to hide my fear of thunderstorms. And because of that, he was the only one who knew. He was my safe haven through the storm.

"Katie, look at me," he said and slowly, I glanced up at him.

His deep blue eyes glittered in the darkness as they gazed into my emerald green ones.

"The storm can't get to you. Not with me around," he told me.

"Promise?" I breathed out and he smiled before nodding.

"I promise," he said honestly, "Here, lay down. I'll be right beside you,"

Hesitantly, I rested my head on his chest and his arms encircled around me, holding me close to his body.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are gray, "he sang softly, calming me.

Lightning struck again and I whimpered.

"You'll never know dear, how much I love you," he went on.

His voice made the storm fade away somehow and all I could focus on was the sound of him singing. Sleep started to overtake me as he kept on singing, the melody calming me. Those words stayed with me while the sound of his heartbeat in my ear lulled me to sleep.

"Please don't take my sunshine away..."