Displacement - Part 6

Start from the beginning

Content he was a safe enough distance from the mountain, at least in so far as he could be given the inherent uncertainty in dealing with the never before experienced nature of the cloud dominating it, Michael stopped and removed the scanner from his belt. For whatever reason Gabe was not available to provide a location, he could nevertheless obtain this information by connecting directly to the orbiting satellite net.

Flicking the scanner on he made the necessary adjustments to access satellite information. There was no response. Though a red light blinked steadily, indicating the scanner was functioning, it wasn't picking up any signals. An emergency beacon in the device also failed to illicit a response when activated. If the scanner was operating properly, a connection should have been made instantly. A lack of contact with both Gabe and the satellites could only result if they had all been disabled or, even more disheartening to contemplate, if he was no longer on Earth.

Michael made a further adjustment, this time to analyze the makeup of the planet's atmosphere. In only a few seconds the scanner provided detailed information indicating a close resemblance to the air on Earth, except for it lacking any trace contaminants commonly associated with an advanced interstellar capable civilization. Incredible as it was to contemplate, Nathaniel had somehow in the blink of an eye relocated him across the vastness of space to this primitive world. As astonished as he was by this discovery, the 'how' and 'why' would have to be determined later. For now it was more important to secure the necessities of life.

He continued to walk in the direction he had been going, away from the cloud-topped mountain. Gaining distance from both the mountain and the area from where the 'murmuring' sound seemed to originate gave a clearer perspective to the surroundings.

The mountain upon which the storm cloud rested was the tallest of several along a ridge rising sharply from the stony desert floor. It appeared to be five or six hundred meters in height, the cloud covering the summit making greater accuracy difficult. The further he removed himself from the area where he had first 'arrived', the more apparent it became that the cloud was not part of an overall weather pattern. It dominated the entirety of the mountain's top with thick dark billows that rolled in constant motion within a stationary formation. The cloud itself reached into the sky, seemingly unending, narrowing ever so slightly as it rose. Michael could only assume it reached to the edge of space. Logic dictated such an assumption was ridiculous, but he held to it regardless, hesitatingly accepting that logic probably had little to do with anything which had recently transpired.

Looking along the ridge in a direction away from the mountain, he noticed an opening that might serve as shelter. Again utilizing the optics to bring what he saw closer, he confirmed what looked to be a cave about three quarters of the way up an adjacent rise. The cave opened towards the cloud and, so long as the cloud did not move, offered a protective shelter from which to observe it. Michael also wanted to remain close, though for the time being not too close, to the possible source of the low murmuring sound which held equally the promise of assistance as well as the potential for danger.

The escarpment was composed of rough and ragged sun scorched rock, making for a difficult climb. Having gained experience with unassisted climbs due to the practical necessities of infiltration behind enemy lines, he knew the more difficult the access the more secure his own position would be. Though this was true at least for natural predators, it would serve little value against those possessing sophisticated weaponry. Judging from what he had seen so far, the former was more likely than the latter and the cave would prove to be a safe observation post. If luck was with him he would also find some indication of water along the way and, if not, at least looking around on high offered a greater area to view and assess the likelihood of finding it.