For Whom the Bell Tolls (4)

Present Time

"Robin Hernandez?"

To say I was scared for my life was the understatement of the century. I felt like my eyeballs were going to pop out of their socket at any minute by the way I was holding my gaze so aggressively on him. My limbs were shaking, my body felt no longer my own.

Sea blue eyes, raspy voice, and dirty blonde hair. Is this real? Have I gone to heaven?

No, this can't be heaven, if I'm staring at the Devil himself.

That's him. Leonidas Salazar: Austin's worse enemy, as well as his mad brother.

This is the guy who we've tried to take down in the past 3 years that I've been working for Austin. This is the guy that took away the love of Austin's life and hid her away from him and anyone else. This is the guy who every single one of Austin's employees who have been caught, never came back from.

This is it. I'm dead.

His eyes are expectant, but he doesn't seem desperate. His shoulders are relaxed, as if he knows he has all the time in the world. Is this how he tortures his victims? He just stares at them pretending they have enough time to inhale the oxygen around them, but when they least expect it he slits their throats?

I didn't want to die just yet. I need to think back to my focus: survive.

"Yes?" I say. The confidence that I had worked so hard to build over the last 3 years was gone, in just an instant.

My eyes darted around the room to inspect my surroundings as he went ahead and jotted some things down in a notebook. The place felt dry and cold, the walls made of concrete with one side containing a one-way mirror, those that were often found in common interrogation rooms, and just a single light hanging from the ceiling that honestly looked like it needed to be changed. My hands were handcuffed to the table that stood between me and Leonidas, but other than that, I had no other restraints.

He had to be trying to convince me that I was fine. That everything was fine. That I would get out of here alive.

But I knew the truth. I knew the reality and I wasn't going to be another one of his infamous missing victims.

Story goes that once someone gets caught by Leonidas Salazar, you never hear from them again. No corpses, no blood, no scene to inspect, no evidence, no nothing. They just disappeared without a trace. Was I really going to be that? Was that my fate in the world?

He cleared his throat to catch my attention back again. I pressed my lips together in hopes that I wouldn't say anything that might speed up my inevitable death.

"What is your age?"

"20" I answered almost immediately.

He nodded. "Parents?"

My breath caught in my throat. It took some hesitation, but I answered. "My father lives in New York, I don't know where my mother resides."

"Alright," He glanced down to his notebook, and then back up at me when he was done writing. "For how long have you been working for Austin Salazar?"

Shit. Austin would kill me if I revealed any information about him. It was part of the contract after all, to keep my mouth shut about the business at all circumstances. But, Leonidas would too if I don't share. And frankly, the one closest to me right now was a bigger and scarier priority to me.

"3 years." I responded.

"Position?"

I gulped "I don't...I'm not sure if there is a name for what I do."