Chapter 1

A/N: Thanks for checking this story out! :)

A few possible trigger warnings, and a couple smut scenes. Enjoy.

Chapter 1 - Kellin - Where We Started

The first thing I hear is my iPhone ringing.

I groan and reach out to where it sits on my side table. Without opening my eyes, I tap the screen around where I think the “Answer” button is and put it up to my ear. “Who are you and why the hell are you calling me at six in the morning?”

"Kellin, it’s not six in the morning; it’s 7:45 in the morning. Get your ass down here, you sexy bastard. I’m waiting."

I laugh. Of course it’s my boyfriend Vic. It wouldn’t be anyone else.

Then I realize what he just said, and all of a sudden I’m completely awake. I’m going to be late for school. Again.

Shit.

I jump out of bed, shaking my head to clear away any more grogginess. I rush through my morning routine, taking a two-minute shower and throwing together an outfit that doesn’t match. When I take the first step downstairs, my dad immediately bombards me, demanding to know why I didn’t wake up earlier and how being tardy is going to help me in any way. Mom doesn’t say anything—not that she would.

"Well, you’re the parent,” I point out to Dad. “Isn’t it part of your job to wake me up when I oversleep?”

"My job is to teach you how to be responsible," Dad snaps. "And you’ll never learn to be responsible if you can’t even fucking wake yourself up on time."

Oh, yeah, Dad, because you’re so responsible. “Well, then,” I say, “don’t complain when I don’t get to school on time.”

Slowly letting out my breath, I grab my backpack and head outside without bothering to eat breakfast. The morning’s always a bit difficult. Actually, the entire parent thing in general is a bit difficult. At least Mom has an afternoon shift, but she’s not really the problem; she just kind of ignores me. Dad works from home, so I have to deal with him almost constantly. Half the time I don’t even think he’s actually working. I don’t know how he keeps that job.

Vic’s parents’ old blue car is sitting in the driveway, Vic behind the wheel. I hop into the passenger seat, breathing a sigh of relief and forgetting the tension from thirty seconds ago. As Vic pulls out and onto the road, he hands me a donut with his free hand. “You look hungry.”

"Donuts? What’s the special occasion?"

"The special occasion is you’re late. I sat here for, like, twenty minutes. Then I went down to Dunkin’ Donuts and got us both donuts and coffee. I figured you’d be ready by the time I got back…nope. So I called you."

"Shit. Sorry."

He smiles and sips his coffee. “Don’t have to apologize. I needed one of these anyways.”

"Me, too. Didn’t eat breakfast." I take a bite out of my donut.

Still keeping one hand on the steering wheel, Vic sets his cup down and tousles my hair. “Going natural today, are you?”

I glance at my reflection in the rearview mirror. It’s still wet. I haven’t brushed it or anything. “Guess so.”

He tousles it again, a bit rougher. His attention is more focused on me now. “Stop that,” I demand, though I actually enjoy it.