It's Not Your Fault

"I'm gonna go grabsome coffees and ring some necks for answers. I'll be back."Rossi moved out of the door and down the hallway.

JJ sat down next to Aaron,Kate on his other side. They were like sentries guarding theirfallen leader.

Morgan placed a strong armaround Garcia as she allowed silent tears to stream down her face.They sank to their own chairs and sat in stunned silence as theywaited.

A few minutes passed andRossi returned with coffees for everyone, but no answers.

Ten minutes later a ruggedlooking man in his mid-fifties entered the room. He had a short,stubbly beard and unruly brown hair, both of which were slightlygraying. His eyes were a piercing blue and he walked with a cane,which only seemed to accentuate his limp. He was wearing blue jeanswith a charcoal gray suit coat and a red Rolling Stones t-shirt. There were sneakers on his feet.

Rossi gave him a once overwhile quirking an eyebrow.

The man looked down at thechart he was carrying, "Spencer Reid and Jack Hotchner?"

"Yes, that's us,"Kate stated as the group crowded around him.

"I'm Dr. Greg Wilson—"hestarted, but was interrupted by the anxious assembly.

"How are they? How'smy son?" Aaron looked at the doctor as though the older man heldhis salvation in his hands; as if the doctor's words would be thevery thing that broke him completely or stitched him back together.

With a sympathetic lookDr. Wilson began.

"Spencer and Jack werebroadsided this evening. We're not sure of all the details at thistime, but their vehicle was hit on the passenger's side by apick-up truck going through intersection." He paused for just amoment to glance down at his notes, and then continued, "Spencersustained a mild concussion from the impact, which caused him to hithis head against the driver's side door. Also, he has somebruising to his chest and abdomen from the seatbelt he was wearing. He'll be sore for a few days. Overall, he was extremely lucky hewasn't hurt worse."

Again, Dr. Wilson pausedto allow the information to sink in and to skim his notes one lasttime. With a deep breath, he resumed, "Jack was on the sideimpacted. The collision caused the passenger's side door tocrumple inward, subsequently crushing his chest. The impactfractured several ribs, which led to a punctured right lung. Thedamage caused that lung to collapse. He also incurred severeInternal bleeding due to lower rib fractures that lacerated his liverand kidney. By the time he reached the ER there was nothing more wecould do." The doctor looked to the six faces staring back at himin silent shock. His eyes held a sincere sympathy as he added, "I'mso sorry for your loss."

Your loss?

Wait, what?

What did I lose....whatjust happened?

Aaron fell.

His world dimmed, it wasshattering around him.

His son.

Jack....

Oh my god.

JJ led him to a seat andwiped tears from her own eyes as she took in the information. Allshe could think about was Henry. What if it had been Henry? Moretears welled up in her eyes as she tried desperately to keep them atbay. She needed to stay strong for her boss.