When It's Bad News

He could hear peoplespeaking, voices murmuring around his head, but he couldn't make outthe words. It sounded like he was underwater; but at the same timehe felt like he was floating somewhere above himself. His head feltheavy, but also like it was full of cotton.

"Sir? Sir, can youhear me?"

Are they talking to me?

"Sir, can you openyour eyes?"

Slowly, Spencer tried topull his eyelids open, just a sliver. He was immediately assaultedby too bright lights that were invading overly dilated pupils. Hequickly clamped his eyelids shut again, hissing at the pain broughton by the action and clenching his teeth.

Too heavy.

His eyelids were tooheavy.

He took a deep breath andattempted to open his eyes again, slower, just a crack.

All of a sudden, thesounds surrounding him came rushing forward and assailed him full on. The volume was heightened exponentially and he crashed his lids shutonce more in an effort to keep out the noises attacking his head. His head was pounding, he couldn't think straight.

God, what'shappening?

Where are Aaron andJack?

What happened...?

After a few more momentsof confusion, Spencer finally came to.

He attempted to open hiseyes one final time. This time he was successful in keeping themopen, the lights seemed less intrusive.

He noticed paramedics andrealized he wasn't in the car anymore.

Was I in the car?

He was lying on his backon a gurney surrounded by strangers.

His heart was franticallypounding in his chest and he felt like he couldn't catch hisbreath. It sounded like chaos around him. "W-What h-happened?"His voice trembled. It was hoarse and his throat was sore.

A female paramedicanswered him. She had a kind face as she looked down at his. Hereyes were warm brown and her face was framed by chocolate bangs and apony tail. Her voice remained steady and calm as she spoke, "Youwere in a car accident. A truck hit the passenger's side of yourcar. Just lie back and try to relax. We'll take care of you and getyou to the hospital, ok?"

He gave a small nod inunderstanding.

She smiled slightly, "Myname's Lexie. Can you tell me your name, sir?"

He swallowed, licking hislips before he answered, "S-Spencer. My n-name's SpencerReid."

"Ok, Spencer. Isthere anyone we can call for you?"

Aaron.

"Wh-where's Aaron...?"his voice trailed off from the sheer exhaustion of trying to speak.

"Was Aaron in the carwith you, Spencer?"

He was so confused."N-no...no?"

Was Aaron in the car?

No...wait.

Oh God.....