14. Truths

If you find somone you love in your life, then hang onto that love.
- Princess Diana

____________________________

"Let me show you how a kiss should taste. Trust me, I won't give your heart away. Why you running when you got it right here? Oh, I would love you if you let me."

Tobias:

The longer our hands remain in contact, the more knots release in my stomach. Gradually, the feeling of our fingers intertwined becomes familiar and I start to feel at ease.

Glancing her way, I watch as she stares down at the sidewalk, and I realize that this is probably one of the only times where she wasn't wearing a camera around her neck.

Maybe she's slowly realizing that she doesn't need a camera to feel protected? Maybe I can protect her? I want to keep her safe.

Her hair blows with the wind, and I watch how her lips slowly curl then retract over and over again. As if she's thinking about what to say to me.

God, I've been wondering what to tell her ever since I met her. It doesn't matter what else we've said over the past months, the only thing that matters is that I should have told her that she was beautiful from the second we bumped into each other.

"Where are we even going?" She laughs softly and it's like I'm surrounded by a swarm of daisy's and willows. God, her laugh. Shrugging, I feel a smile build against my lips, and for the first time, I don't try to stop it.

"I thought we were going to the library," I reply sarcastically, watching a grin fall upon her. Looking over at me, Tris rolls her eyes and then gives my hand a quick squeeze, like she's pumping oxygen to my brain somehow. Everytime she does that, I realize that I haven't been breathing.

We're away from the crowded part of the city now, and more into the recreational area where we're surrounded by the lake and the parks. I tug at her sleeve, nodding towards the empty park bench that faces the water.

Suddenly, it's like her expressions lights up entirely. Tris beams with a smile then pulls me over to the bench. Cheeks red, she sits cross-legged on the black seat then bites her lip slowly.

For a few moments, I watch her in confusion as I try to read the look of mesmerization written on her face.

Then as Tris watches the ripples of the water hitting the pier, I figure out that she loves this. She's captured by how calming and innocent the activity here is, and knowing that she's happy is enough to make me smile.

"Tris," I start softly, not wanting to fully disclose her away from the scenery, "what did you want to talk about?"

I already know the answer, one hundred percent, but the second that the words leave her lips, I'm going to be set on fire.

Fiddling with her fingers, Tris wets her lips once before turning over to me, her shoulder's square with mine.

"What are we?"

Gritting my teeth, I feel a lump of saliva rush down my throat. Suddenly, even though I was expecting it, I wish that I was back at the restaurant, sweating while carrying tray after tray.

No, I want this. I have to keep reminding myself that this is what I want. I want to be around Tris. I want to figure out what the hell this is.