Nine

I knew that to escape I would have to trick his senses. However I wasn't sure exactly how to do so. Stealing a car was out of question, or trying to hide in one once again was also no longer an option, especially after my previously failed attempt. Recently, the garage had been locked, and I'm pretty sure that I know exactly why.

Now I know that nobody would help me escape, after Flinn expressed how badly Domitius would act against people who had willingly or accidentally assisted me to escape. I quickly came to the conclusion that I had no choice but to flee through the forest.

But I didn't know the forest. I didn't even know precisely where I was, for all I know, running in the wrong direction could lead to cliffs. I needed as much time as I could get myself.

"Luca?" I asked, knocking on his office door. It hadn't taken me long to find the office corridor on the top floor, and this door had Luca's name quite literally on it.

"The door's unlocked!" He called, and I slowly pushed it open with my hand, rather cautious to see what was inside.

Inside was Luca, leaning over a mountain of paperwork with a red pen tucked behind his ear and a black pen in his hand. He was sitting on a wooden chair that looked like something he had got from the kitchen with it's unoffice-like style and his desk was a dark black.

I slowly stepped inside, working my way over to the leather chair that was placed in front of the desk.

"Hola," I began. "What's with the mountain of paperwork?"

He looked up at me with tired eyes before looking over to a clock on the wall. 3 am.

"Well you see, Domitius has a lot of paperwork to do throughout the day." He yawned and stretched his arms above his head. "And yesterday he didn't really get any done. Early that morning, he had a meeting with the Gamma and I, and then he went after you because you'd done the whole escape thing." He yawned again. "And then he went out to lunch with you. And then when we finally finished our meeting, the guards sent out an alert, so we followed them to see what they would get up to. And then, Domitius ran off because he realised that you wanted to leave him. And he's been gone since so god knows what he's up to."

He sat down his pen and smiled at me.

"So yeah, Domitius has left behind a lot of paperwork, which I as the Beta am left to sign in his absence."

I nodded slowly. "So why don't you wait until he gets back?"

Luca sighed. "You see, the thing is that Domitius will probably collapse for a few hours once he comes back, it's not really common, but it's not really rare for him after he's had an emotional breakdown of sorts. I've only seen it happen three other times in all of the years I've known him, but considering what kind of an effect you have on him, i reckon he'll be knocked out for ages."

He chuckled silently to himself.

"Domitius is weird in that way, he'll go a century or two being stone cold and without a care in the world, then one day will be so emotionally strained that he just drops. Poor guy doesn't know how to control his emotions, but unfortunately for him, he needs to come to the realisation that he has them just like everyone else and deal with them."

I looked towards the wall at my right. I guess him and I were similar in that way, that emotions were just a confusing haze that we didn't really want to deal with.

"So should I even try bothering with him when he comes back, or will he just be dead to the world?" I pushed. Maybe for once in my life timing was working out excellently.

"No point he'll be knocked out cold."

I nodded and gazed behind me at the door. Luca leaned back in his chair and yawned again.