Τhree

~

"Just pull the trigger," he whispered into my ear. "Ignore her eyes. The pain and confusion that they hold. What did I tell you?"

"The world is overpopulated, I shouldn't fret over a few lives taken for the greater good."

He moved into my view, nodding his head, a small smile on his face. "You are still my best student. Now just shoot the woman."

I raised the gun, aiming it at her head. My hands shook, sweat beading on my forehead.

Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale.

I took a deep breath, willing the tears that were gathered in my eyes to disappear.

In that moment the true seriousness of the situation hit me square in the face. I was about to take a life. Memories, feelings, emotions, a being, a soul. And I could take it all away with the smallest movement of my finger.

A strong sensation of power overwhelmed me for a second, and I closed my eyes, the potential power I had at hand finally dawning on me.

"Don't overthink it. Just shoot the woman." He whispered. I opened my eyes, and with one final exhale, I pulled the trigger.

The sound of the bullet ricocheted off of the walls, the small piece of lead embedding itself into her skull. She dropped limply to the floor, her head cracking on the tiles.

Blood began to pool on the floor, slowly finding it's way to my bare feet.

I looked down. And a ball of emotion lodged itself into my throat. I had just killed a person.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, and a bucket was thrust into my line of sight. "Now clean it up." He demanded. "All of it. I don't want one stain left on the tiles."

And with that he turned and left. The door closing quietly behind him.

I slumped onto the floor. All I could see was blood. On the walls. On the floor. Even a splatter on the ceiling. I began to cry hysterically, unsure of how to cope with her death weighing down my conscience. I shakily raised my hands to my face. They were covered in blood. Her blood. My mother's blood.

Why did there have to be so much blood?

I woke up. Gasping for breath.

When I realised I was in bed, not scrubbing my mother's blood off of the floor, relief flooded over me. It was just the same dream.

I let out a shaky breath. At least it was only just a dream. I bit my lip. I couldn't deal with it if it happened again.

The image of blood splattered walls filled my mind and I pushed it away.

I shivered.

Suddenly an arm was wrapped around my waist, and I found myself pulled into a rock hard chest. "Are you cold, my love?"

I froze. Not just because his voice was the sexiest thing that I had ever heard, but because I had just remembered everything that had happened last night.