Eight

I was quick to leave the kitchen, moving towards the room that I had claimed. So much was going on in my head.

He had hugged me, he had cared. During the break in he was worried about me. No one ever worried about me. No one had ever cared. What was this strange foreign feeling in my chest again?

I knew that he was a monster, I had watched him transform into an animal with my very own eyes more than once and I had now heard his story. He was not even of this world.

To act like he was simply a crazed lunatic and ignoring the severity of this situation would not help me. I needed to consider all sides of this equation. I was not a stupid white girl living in denial, and this was no teen fiction novel. The evidence was laid out before me, I needed to accept it. But I could not accept one thing.

A soul mate. I slammed the door to the bedroom and paced back and forth, running my hands through my hair.

I needed my independence, I couldn't be trapped. I had plans for my future. And those plans didn't involve being the pet of some mythical creature.

I paused, looking towards the ensuite door. "Fuck it."

My clothes were off in half a second and I moved to the shower, turning it on.

Steam poured from the shower as I stepped under the scorching hot streams of water, washing away everything from the day.

I sighed, massaging my neck. Why was everything so difficult? I seemed so sure of everything only a couple of days beforehand. Now I felt as though I knew nothing.

But that was before I knew the truth, about the universe and about myself.

I felt like screaming as I slumped onto the shower floor, my head falling into my hands. Salty tears streamed down my face, disappearing down the drain with the rest of the water.

So apparently I was soul mates with an immortal vampire werewolf from another world. I knew that it was true, I had seen the evidence. I knew that human kind was never on the top of the food chain now, and all I could do was cry. I laughed.

There was no chance of ever escaping. I was stuck with an otherworldly monster for the rest of eternity.

My brother would have sent his best men to recover me, his best men, and now they were both dead. If they couldn't even make it past security without being detected, then no one else could. After all, the only person who could do better than them, was me.

I slowly stood, my knees shaky and my face twisted with a mad smile. I had only been here for a couple days, yet he was unravelling everything that I had so carefully created.

A couple days ago, I myself was the monster. I was a merciless killer, shaped by a torturous childhood, and sealed by murdering my very own mother. Now, for some reason everything was changing. Those sparks when we touched, they did something to me. And now the wall that I had so very carefully crafted to keep away the bad memories, to keep me sane, was crumbling down. It was falling down around me.

I turned the shower off and wrapped a towel around my body, moving to stand in front of the mirror.

My hair hung loosely, black as a raven, an uncontrollable mess of curls. My eyes stared back at me, green, gold and brown. The eyes of my father. The eyes that I hated. The eyes that caused me so much fear. The eyes that still terrorised my dreams.