Chapter 38 - It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp

Start from the beginning

"Because you took care of Frankie when her parents wouldn't. We owe you for that," Cameron says.

She looks around at everyone. I introduce everyone and she tells me that she will be at court on Thursday. We get into the limo and drive up the street to where my so called parents were standing. I explain to them that's the house that I lived in when I was here. They look up at it freely, because my parents ran inside when we got into the limo. As we pass it by and leave it behind, I say another prayer of thanks for getting me out of that situation and I say another prayer asking that I don't have to give them my money.

We go to the bank and they have the paperwork we need ready for us. They even have copies of the cancelled checks that was used to pay my father for rent. All of them have his signature on them. That eases my mind a lot.

The next couple of days are spent relaxing and getting me ready for court. I see the reason that Manuel is the best lawyer in the state. He has coached me on every possible question and he asks every question that he can to get all of the details of growing up out of me.

The night before court when Rand and I are in bed together, he asks, "How does Mabel know that you're happy?"

I look up trying to see his eyes in the darkness of the room, "From the first day I met her, she knew me better than anyone else. I walked into that diner and was begging Fred to give me a job or I would be homeless. Mabel walked into the room, lifted my chin and looked into my eyes, just like she did today. After a couple of seconds, she looked over at Fred and told him to give me a job and to put a bed upstairs, because there will be times that I'll need it. Fred did exactly what she said."

"I'm glad that she was there for you. Was she always so matter-of-fact with you?"

I feel him stroking my back and I move in closer, "Yes. She wasn't one for hugs or anything like that. She just read me and made sure that I had what I needed. She has always looked me in the eye and could tell what was going on with me, even though I didn't always know what was going on myself. She steered me in the right direction so many times and she gave me exactly what I needed when I needed it. I'm so grateful to her. Grandpa helped me to pay her back today when he said that he would help her. She deserves everything that he gives her."

"I'm glad that he was able to do that for you. We will help her too if needed." The soft strokes on my back are putting me to sleep.

I tuck my head into his neck and mumble, "I know. I love you too."

This morning dawns bright and clear, even though it's a little cool outside. I put on the suit that I picked out myself last week without any help from Ronnie. Well, she did help out a little bit. She gave me the final word on it when I sent her a picture.

After we are all dressed, Manuel gives me some last minute tips over breakfast and we head to the courthouse.

We walk inside of the courtroom and my father and mother are already there looking cleaned up for people who are actual dirt bags in real life. Manuel touches my shoulder to get my attention, "Don't let them get the best of you. They are going to try to intimidate you, so don't look at them, and if you do, just remember that there's nothing that he can do to you anymore." I nod at him, smile and sit down.

The judge comes inside and starts the court procedure. Their lawyer starts first and he tries to help my parents paint a picture of me as being a wildchild and a trouble maker all through high school. When their lawyer finishes, Manuel stands up and gives my transcripts and files from school to the judge and their lawyer. He then cross examines and discredit everything they say.