Chapter 7

Happy New Years!!! I hope this chapter helps your year kick off to a good start!!! ;) Sorry it's so short...I have a bad case of writer's block and don't know what to do. I'm open for requests on chapters to come!

The two sat in silence, Gray tending to Natsu's wounds and Natsu watching curiously. That is, until said dragon-slayer broke the silence once Gray finished. "Thanks..." He mumbled.

Gray just shrugged. It was weird having his rival thank him. "It was no problem, really. I was already on my way here."

Natsu eyed him curiously. "Why did you come here?" He asked the ice mage.

"I was going to give you this," he held out a bag of food. "and also to tell you that Erza is making Lucy and I go on a mission with her, so I probably won't be back for a few days." He watched Natsu closely, anticipating his reaction.

"Oh, okay." Natsu said. He seemed kind of...disappointed. Gray brushed it off as being an affect of his heat. It meant Natsu had to deal with his heat alone for a while, after all. Why wouldn't he be disappointed?

Little did he know, Natsu just didn't feel right with his best friend going on a mission without him. He wanted to be there. He wanted to fight alongside the ice mage. He didn't want to be stuck in his house for a month, and he definitely didn't want to be alone.

After Igneel had left him, Natsu always worried that the people he loved would do the same. It terrified him to think that they would just decide to leave him one day. It was one of the reasons why he always tried his hardest, no matter what. He wanted Fairy Tail, his family, to know he wasn't weak. If he proved that he was strong, then maybe, just maybe, no one would leave him.

It was his biggest fear: to be left behind by those he loved most.

"Are you okay, Flame Brain?" A voice pulled him from his thoughts.

Natsu turned to look at Gray. He gave him his signature heart-warming smile. "I'm fine, Ice Princess."

Gray looked unconvinced, but nodded anyways. He wouldn't pry if Natsu didn't want him to. He wanted the dragon-stayer to turn to him for comfort on his own accord. It meant that he truly trusted Gray with his personal problems, and the ice mage knew he'd come around soon.

Gray just wished Natsu would open up to him more. He sighed and got up. He had packing to do.