Book 7⌇10. The Hunter

Start from the beginning

Before she could finish that thought, I'd left my corporeal form, shifting through space and time until I stood directly behind the hunter that threatened the witch. At the same moment my arm wrapped around the hunter's neck from behind, my tail snaked around to take hold of his wrist armed with the blade. My tail jerked forward the moment I entered back into this plane of existence, the hunter letting Ayanna go and clawing at my arm with the free hand that had released her.

The witch stumbled forward, Icarus catching her while his eyes never left me. When she finally got her balance, Ayanna whirled around in his arms, her eyes growing wide with shock at me and then at the hunter. They were frozen in place, just staring at me while the hunter gasped, begging for just a breath of air.

"I think you've interrupted their date," I chuckled, my tail sharply tweaking the wrist of the hunter until I heard a satisfying snap, the bones breaking and what air was left being exhaled in a pained scream. The blade hit the ground and clattered until it finally laid still, my tail twining around the left leg of the hunter.

"Th-The incubus," the witch's voice was hesitant and Icarus was unnerved as well, his own speculations debating within his mind.

The wrist that I had snapped hung loosely at the hunter's side. I could feel the hold on my arm loosen, the hunter's hand falling away, but only to raise up in front of himself. It was then that my own fear surfaced the moment I saw Ayanna's blood and that of the dead hunter on the floor lift away from her body and his, just enough so that it was morphed into tiny needles, all circling around where I stood.

Blood magic.

No shit...the flippin' hunter carries the blood magic trait.

My eyes moved very quickly, the needles forming a bubble-like circle, ready to pierce through our bodies.

Not good, not good.

"Oh, fluffy wings," I called for her and even though Isis was just a ways from me, I felt her energy shift like it did so when she was ready to lose her first arrow.

She can't kill him in time.

"Get the children out of here while daddy handles this," I growled out, noticing the waver on the hold the hunter had over the blood magic. His connection was strong but dwindling by each second and he couldn't quite execute his attack, more than likely losing consciousness from the lack of air.

Isis was behind Icarus and Ayanna in two heartbeats, her voice gentle and calm, "Let's go now."

There was no hesitation when the two of them turned around and gasped at her form. Even I was entranced and amazed at how lovely she was, in all her angelic glory, she was undeniably heaven-sent. Icarus nodded and Ayanna followed behind Isis as she left the Ivory Seasons Hotel bar, people who were already in the lobby also evacuating from the commotion.

"Let go of your control, hunter," I struggled to keep him from solidly completing his connection. It was becoming harder, his healing properties increasing and giving him an added strength increase. Even if it were for a moment, it was enough for him to throw me backward, the blood needles falling down all around us. I hissed as many needles fell and punctured through my skin, cutting into it like a knife through butter. The hunter was also affected by the attack, caught in between just as I was, but his body was regenerating his wounds with the same blood that fell through his skin.

Needles that did not strike through my skin embedded itself into my clothing and pinning me to the floor. The hunter was breathing hard as he rose to his feet, his white irises locking with my own electric blue ones as he stated, "A vampire actually taught me that trick," he sighed, his wrist having fully healed with his magic, taking the twin medium length daggers from the sheaths resting against either side of his hips.