The Trouble (AU)

For the first time in all his thirteen years, Finn Mikaelson was having girl trouble. 

 This school year, a new girl named Sage Mitchell was in his class, and he hadn't been able to take his eyes off her. He couldn't help it; she was beautiful. They properly met when she and her parents came to the Mikaelsons' hotel/inn/bed and breakfast for dinner one evening (Mikael could never make up his mind as to what their business was called). Mr. Mitchell and Mrs. Mikaelson had known each other ages before. Finn wondered if they used to date, and perhaps that was why Mikael kept giving Mr. Mitchell evil glares whenever Esther wasn't looking.

 Finn and Sage had talked and even sat together in the cafeteria a few times, which Finn was thankful for. He used to sit with Freya at lunch, but she had started at Mystic Falls High School that year. Since he didn't have any actual friends besides Freya (he wasn't good with socializing), he was now stuck sitting with Elijah, who had just started sixth grade. Most eighth graders would probably be embarrassed to be seen sitting with their little brothers at lunch, but Finn didn't mind Elijah. His problem was with the two kids Elijah sat with at lunch, two rotten troublemakers named Katherine Pierce and Damon Salvatore. Finn didn't like the fact that his little brother had made friends with two hooligans like them, but Elijah didn't seem to mind them. 

 Once when they were in the cafeteria, Elijah asked his brother, "Finn, who's that red-haired girl you've been talking to?"

 "Um, just someone I know." 

 "Ooh, 'Lijah, I think Finn's got a girlfriend," Katherine teased.

 Elijah's eyes widened. "Is she your girlfriend, Finn? I didn't know you had one. I heard Mom saying to Dad a few nights ago that she's worried about you because you don't have any friends."

 "It's no wonder he doesn't," Damon said. "He's boring."

 "You take that back," Finn said in a low voice.

 "Finn, you should ask her to the spring dance!" Elijah suddenly cried. "If she likes you, she'll definitely say yes!"

 "And what if she doesn't?" Finn asked.

 Elijah thought about it. "Then I guess she doesn't want to be your girlfriend after all."

 "Great. Thanks a lot, Elijah." 

~~~~~~

 For the next few days, Finn wondered how he could ask Sage to the dance. When he asked Freya, she said, "Maybe you should just say, 'Do you want to go to the dance with me?'." 

 That would have been the logical answer, but Finn had no experience with girls or socializing, so he figured he'd probably mess it up somehow.

 Then he made the mistake of asking his father for advice.

 "You're in love with Sage Mitchell?"

 "Dad, keep your voice down! I'm not in love with her, but I do like her and I want to ask her to the dance, but I don't know how."

 Mikael thought for a moment. "Why don't you just ask and see? The worst thing that can happen is that she'll say no. Or that she already has a date. That would be harsh."

 "Dad, you're not helping. How did you convince Mom to go out with you?"

 "With my natural charm, of course."

 Yeah, right, Finn thought. He then asked, "How did you ask her out the first time?"

 "The first time? Well, Esther was one of the candidates for Miss Mystic Falls, but her escort stood her up, so I nobly stepped in."

 "And that was your first date?"

 "No, I actually just blurted out 'Do you want to go out with me?'. But she said yes, so it worked. Maybe you should try that."

 Finn sighed and said, "Yeah. Thanks, Dad. If I'm home on the night of the dance, that means it didn't work."

 Finn decided to write Sage a note, asking her to the date. He was better with writing than talking, anyway. He slipped into her locker when he got to school in the morning.

 That afternoon, when school let out, Sage walked up to Finn and said, "Hi. I got your note. I don't have a date to the dance, so yeah, I would like to go with you."

 "Really? I-I mean...sure." Finn felt his cheeks reddening. "That's great."

 When Sage walked away, Finn smiled to himself. He was about to have his first date.

~~~~~~

 On the night of the dance, Klaus asked Finn, "Where are you going?"

 "I have a dance to go to."

 "Did she say yes?" Elijah asked. 

 "Did who say yes?" Rebekah asked.

 "Finn's girlfriend," Elijah answered.

 "Ooh, Finn's got a girlfriend," said Kol.

 "What's going on in here?" Esther came into the living room and saw Finn all dressed up. "Oh, don't you look handsome!"

 "Finn's got a girlfriend, Mom," Kol informed her.

 "Sage isn't my girlfriend," Finn said.

 "Well, either way, have fun, darling," Esther said. "Oh, just a moment." She left and came back with her camera.

 "No, Mom, please-"

 "Oh, just one picture, Finn, then you can go. Smile. There. Now, go on."

~~~~~~

 Finn wasn't a very good dancer, but luckily Sage was, so Finn watched her and the other kids to see how to dance. 

 They both enjoyed it. Finn was happy to see Sage smile. She didn't even mind that he was bad at dancing. 

 "I think my dad was going to come to pick us up," Finn said as they waited outside the middle school.

 Everyone else had already left when Mikael finally pulled up.

 "You're late, Dad," Finn said. "The dance ended ages ago."

 "Did it?" Mikael looked at his watch. "This thing must be broken. No wonder Esther seemed surprised at the time I was leaving. Well, get in. I'll drop you off at your house, Sage, and then I'll take Finn home."

 After they had dropped Sage off and were on the way back to the hotel/inn/bed and breakfast, Mikael asked, "How'd it go, then? Obviously, she said yes."

 "She did. We had fun. I'm glad I asked her." 

~~~~~~

 At school Monday, Elijah asked Finn, "Why don't you and Sage sit with me and my friends today?"

 "That'd be great," said Sage. "Thanks, Elijah."

 "You haven't met his friends yet," Finn told her.

 "Well, they can't be that bad."

 Yes, maybe not if Sage is there, Finn thought.