Chapter Twenty-Six ⚜ On the Way

The next city was much bigger than Halvana and seemed unaffected by the recent attacks. They dropped Rian at the gates where Eres left him a small pouch of money to live by for the next month until the opening of the new campus in Denovegasia. The constructions have been going on for a bit and, now, after the incident in the main campus, they were rushing to get things done.

"Be good, kid. I'll send someone to escort you when the time comes," Eres said. "No troubles. No stealing. Live without cheating. If I hear anything . . . and I mean anything at all."

"No. Absolutely not," Rian said firmly. "I will make sure I go through no trouble at all, sir."

They then left him there, watching him enter the city with the money.

"Are you sure he'll be fine? Was that really alright leaving him like that?" Valeriana asked.

"I have eyes. I'll know whatever he does. Besides, this is his first test."

"What test?" Keelan asked curiously.

"What," Brindon repeated.

But Eres remained silent, save for a small smile.

With that, they left without further ado and sped their way to their main goal. After all the distractions and obstacles they met on the way, the journey to Dirinia came smoother afterwards—except for the glaring sun. The speed Arsene was going at eased the heat a bit, providing enough air to keep cool.

"I heard the new branches will only offer courses up to second year," Valeriana said.

"Yes," Eres replied. "The biggest problem of the main campus of Celeste Academy is having an onslaught of freshmen every year, but the seniors are much less in number. More than half the time, these people don't actually get to survive in the next level and dropout earlier than expected. With the new campuses opening, they will screen those worthy before sending them to the top-tier, which is the main branch. Therefore, people in the main branch can focus all their efforts in the cultivation of the cream of the cream of the crop."

"Cream of the cream of the crop?" Valeriana repeated incredulously.

"Those who enter Celeste Academy are already cream of the crop," Keelan supported. "But those who stay are basically the core essence."

"Entering is one thing. Staying is another," Eres added.

"Then what about the Twelve? The cream of the cream of the cream of the crop?"

"Basically, yes." Keelan shrugged.

"You guys are so amazing," Valeriana whispered in awe.

"So are you."

"Lord Aeron proposed a new scheme in the new branches," said Eres. "And it's quite interesting."

"What? What's the old man planning now?" she asked.

"He's proposing the same ranking system imposed on the Twelve in the main branch to set the cream of the cream from just the cream."

"The best, from just the good ones, you mean," Keelan cleared.

The lord nodded. "He said the Twelve have it easy." Eres smirked, giving the three behind him a cursory glance. "So the top-ranking students from each campus will have a chance to challenge one of the members of the Twelve right when they get to the main campus, and the Circle cannot refuse."

"Holy shiznits, Lord Aeron, you bastard." Valeriana nearly fell over. "That's a whole load of people, goddamn it."

"Not, really. The top students will also be twelve students, multiplying it by six that's seventy-two," Eres said. "And it will depend on how popular you are since they can only issue one challenge after which they would have to wait another month. I'm guessing those in the lowest positions won't have it easy."