Chapter Thirteen ⚜ A New Phase

Valeriana managed to hold on to her consciousness, but she could hardly move herself. She had a lot of questions to ask, sheer curiosity too keen to let her fall asleep. She looked at Lord Aeron who supported her as the demon was taken to custody by Seraphina and the other knights in the room.

It took a few more minutes for the barrier to be taken down. Assistance rushed in through the doors, finally. She was given a cup of the energizing drink from before which allowed her to gain some strength to move. When she could stand, they moved to another room where everyone was and mingled with the crowd.

"That felt really different," Valeriana whispered as she gazed at Aeron who stood by her side. "I didn't know that was possible. If they could have wings, how come they don't use it?"

"Because it's nothing worthwhile doing."

"But you can fly!" she exclaimed, holding the cup close to her chest. "Hasn't it been your dream to fly?"

"In utilizing your familiar's energy, you have to avoid things that will easily drain their reserve. If you wanted to fly, you can simply climb on their backs. Having them merge with you will put a strain on yourself, especially if you aren't compatible."

She nodded understandingly, knowing trying to question further would be futile. "But, Lord Aeron, what of that city that demon is talking about?" Valeriana worriedly asked. "We can't give up that demon or His Majesty."

"It's alright, do not worry about it. Lord Leiland's familiar, Polaris, is the fastest messenger there is. She would've already alerted the responsible men to take care of their cities. It may not do much, but it will help take the situation under control."

"You guys are so great."

"So are you, my dear. You saved our asses." Aeron patted the top of her head as she sipped the cup of energizing drink in her hands. "That material the demon made was seriously troublesome. If we are able to find out how he's done it, we may have ways to counter it next time. They are getting incredibly advanced by the minute. We need to learn from our mistake."

"So are we. Don't we invent too?"

"Yes, the next batch of innovations will be publicized by the end of this month. Exciting it is, of course." He smiled.

The room was crowded, yet no one was allowed to leave just yet. Corvan approached Lord Aeron and Valeriana after he managed to tear himself away from his father. The Court Leader regarded the young lord with a questioning glance.

"Why, young lord, what brings you here?"

"I bring news," he said as he took off his coat. "The reported attack was on one of the biggest cities we have, they were able to take the situation under control as predicted, but the bad news is that it wasn't the only one, contrary to the statement of the demon," he continued, but threw his coat around Valeriana's shoulder.

Corvan's coat was thick and it went past the cut ends of her dress, covering most of her shoulder and thighs. She didn't intent to cut it this short, slashing at it randomly, but perhaps it was a little bit indecent. Valeriana stared at the coat around her shoulders incredulously until she felt a flush of butterflies in her stomach. She couldn't help but yell 'holy shiznits' within her mind like a never-ending echo in a big cave.

She tried keeping her cool. "Huh . . . uh, thanks."

Lord Aeron raised his brows, but didn't say anything other than, "What of the other city?"

"Cities," Corvan corrected. "Smaller villages were targeted. And since they were sparse and somewhat isolated, they could not defend themselves properly. The western parts of Denovegasia is in utter chaos right now."