Chapter Seven ⚜ The First (pt. 1)

The trip to the portals was uneventful. They were transported to the courtyard of the Rosellevienne palace. They marched down the stairs from the large podium where the arch-portal was situated and followed the steady stream of people.

The skies were fair and bright as the sun mercilessly glared down, making it somewhat hot. Luckily, the processions would be held at the ballroom of the palace, which was spacious enough to cater to a good few hundreds of people.

As they entered the large doors, some of the staffs greeted them.

"Wow, this is a huge crowd," Valeriana said as they walked in casually and came upon a huge balcony that overlooked the entire room. When Prince Bertram said the visitors would be few, this was what he meant?

"This isn't even half of what there usually is," Corvan replied. "Only the highest nobilities were invited—from the positions of viscount and higher. Lower nobles were not called."

The throne was vacant. King Laedin was welcoming each and every guest with delight. Contrary to the rumors that spread about him being weak, he radiated with vigor. There wasn't even a trace of tiredness on his face.

"From Celeste Academy! High Lord of Aetheria, Rowe von Valdemar de la Nevan and Miss Aneeka Rochefort," someone announced. "Crown Lord of Larkovia, Charles von Versailles de la Vernados and Lady Tamara Vernados Silver."

The sons and daughters of the high nobilities were called out in succession that people could not help but look over. The eyes were like steels on magnets and the room quieted for a moment.

"Sir Raziel Aslan and Miss Elfre Baudion," he continued.

Before their names were announced, a man leaned in to whisper in Valeriana's ear. He had a long-tailed suit and a red ribbon around his neck and was one of the many guys who lined the twin stairs. "How should we address you, miss?"

Meanwhile, the announcer continued, his voice reverberating. "Lady Courtney von Veralidaine de la Evereesha of Preluresia and Sir Brindon Jintaci!"

Valeriana opened her mouth to answer when Corvan beat her to it. "Lady Valeriana Kerrigan."

The current fifth-ranker looked up at Corvan in shock. "Lady? I'm no nobility."

The announcement continued tirelessly. "Lord Keelan von Keiffer de la Kaiven of Denovegasia!"

Seeing as the second heir of the high family of Denovegasia was alone, eyes glinted. There were many females in the room and, with the way they looked, they seemed to be vying for a chance to grab the young lord's attention. Anyhow, Keelan was uncaring and oblivious as his eyes gravitated to one direction—the buffet.

It was finally their turn.

"Crown Lord of Arlandia, Corvan von Vaushna de la Wylden and Lady Valeriana Kerrigan."

Valeriana was panicking internally as the once somewhat silent room burst into a chorus of noisy chatter. She suddenly felt self-conscious, tensing under the weight of the gazes. Corvan unconsciously found his hand resting on top of her fingers which gripped his arm. With a reassuring pinch, she relaxed a bit.

"Do not worry."

Inwardly, Valeriana felt like puking.

"Come on, this'll be bloody." His eyes hardened and so did his face. Valeriana felt her face turning sour, knowing that Corvan had put on his 'cold noble' mask. Whenever he did heavy socializing, he always looked poker-faced. His unfeeling eyes made him unapproachable—which must be a defense mechanism of his somewhat.

"Here we go again," she muttered to herself.

"Cousin!" they heard a proud yell. "Arland, your hair! You cut it, I almost did not recognize you!"