Chapter Seven ⚜ The First (pt. 2)

New mylovelywriter.com launching soon!

Join the festivities and grab 100%OFF free coupons for memberships throughout the launch month until July 15!

Head to Facebook MyLovelyWriter or Twitter MyLovelyWriter for more info. ☺️

Her heart jumped to her throat as she stared at the prince's outstretched hand. She shot a look over her shoulder to see Corvan's rock-hard face. His face was indifferent, however, his eyes were smouldered with their usual icy fire. Merely looking at them made her shiver.

But she could not reject him.

"Yes . . . of course." She nervously took his hand and he dragged her to the middle of the room, the violins singing in chorus with the bass.

"Calm down," he said. "It would seem I made a big mistake asking you to dance since I can feel holes being burned on my head." He laughed softly as he placed one hand on her waist. They swept across the floor, her dress fluttering delicately.

"Somebody else already had my first dance. I'm guessing he somehow anticipated this," she said. The prince seemed curious but decided not to ask. "Anyhow, he's always like that," she answered. "How did you know it was my birthday?"

"It's Lady Tamara's doing."

She shot a look over her shoulder when she caught a flash of red hair and coincidentally met Tamara's bright blue eyes as she winked.

"This blabbermouth," she muttered, rolling her eyes.

"I would like to use this opportunity to greet you and thank you as well," Bertram told her. "As I am sure I will have no chance to do so for the rest of the night. I owe you this day. If it were not for you, standing here would not have been possible."

"I was doing what I should, there's no need for that," she replied. "Although I would've appreciated it if you were more discreet with your greeting since it's really embarrassing. I mean, people would think I sort of stole the show even though it's supposed to be your birthday being celebrated."

"Nonsense." He shook his head. "You have no need to be embarrassed, you deserve it. I have a big cake at the back of the room for you and your friends to eat later."

"Thank you, I appreciate it." She smiled at him and he returned it.

The music came to a pause so they bowed and stopped.

"I thank you for giving me the first dance." Bertram retreated. "Have a good time, Valeriana. And joulle draey once again."

"Joulle draey, Your Highness," she told him.

Valeriana retreated as well and inserted herself into the crowd where Aneeka, Genevieve, and Elfre were waiting for her.

"How about that?" Aneeka elbowed Valeriana playfully.

"You guys, you put me on the spot!" she gave them a glare.

"Because . . ." Genevieve started. "You can keep all other secrets but not this one! We respect your privacy, but at least let us celebrate with you!"

"She's right," Elfre stated, nodding. "This is what you get for not telling us it was your birthday!"

"I guess it can't be helped. Thank you all." She hugged Elfre tenderly, who was stumped when she did. Even so, the current sixth-ranker returned the embrace with a smile.

She did the same with Tamara and Genevieve, who returned the gesture with much affection as she gave.

"Come on," Tamara said as she pulled the girls with her to the corner of the room where the buffet was. "Since this is when you officially come of age, we should grab some wine! I've been itching for a glass since I came in. After that, there's still that treat at the back room."