"I know I haven't left you alone in a long time, so we can work something out with Sam or something, I'm sure—"

"Dad, it's fine. I'll be fine."

"Are you sure?" he asked me as he turned his full attention toward me.

"Yes, positive. You've been attached to me at the hip since mom died... this will probably be good for both of us," I said and he smiled sadly at me before wrapping his arms around me. "Can I have Sam over?"

"Yeah, of course," he told me. "You're positive?"

"Certain," I told him, laughing. "So, where are you going?"

"There's a conference in Portland that I'm going to," he told me and my eyebrows furrowed.

"Portland, Oregon?" I asked, not previously thinking he'd be going so far. "Dad, that's very out of town. That's like one thousand miles out of town."

"I know that, Maya," he said, sighing again. "So will you not be okay alone?"

"No, Dad, that doesn't change anything about me. I just didn't realize you'd be so far." I shrugged it off as if it weren't a big deal and Dad started to make me a plate.

"You could come with me," Dad suggested, but I shook my head as I took my plate from him.

"I have school, and we're about to start a new unit in chemistry," I told him, suddenly remembering all about chemistry class. I rolled my eyes as Calum Hood crossed my mind and my dad gave me a strange look.

"You don't like chemistry?"

"You could say that," I mumbled and walked to the small dining room table just off to the side of the kitchen. I could still see Dad at the counter and I was able to talk to him. "Thanks again for making bad news breakfast."

"Anytime."

"Let's try to make it as uncommon as we can, okay?"

"Deal," Dad said before walking over to me and kissing me on the head.

"When is he getting back?" Sam asked as we walked through the school hallway. I had just informed her about my upcoming situation, and she seemed to be excited about it, but I had no idea why.

"Uh, Saturday night," I told her and she smiled widely at me. "And he's leaving tonight. Why?"

"We should throw a party," she suggested and my eyes rolled.

"Sam, please, that's the last thing I want to do." We stopped at my locker and I quickly started to unlock it, wanting to get to class before the bell rang. "That sounds so lame, and so cliche," I told her and she sighed while crossing her arms tightly over her chest.

"It could be fun, Maya. You do know what that word means, right?"

"Yes, I do," I told her, glaring over at her as I swung my locker door open. I had flung the metal door open without hesitation, and I heard it make contact with something on the opposite side which instantly caused my eyebrows to furrow.