One girl even cried when Mitch started yelling at her. I watched her run away, bawling her eyes out in amusement. I knew Mitch was a perfectionist and a harsh leader since he was second-in-command but that was a low blow. I raised an eyebrow at him and flipped him off for being cruel to the girl.

He just glared at me.

Up last was the Marcus Gordon.

The arrogant bastard. He was totally full of himself. He walked towards the middle where the pitcher usually stands and he had the ball with his glove already in hand. He gave me a smirk where I was standing a way off the field. I glowered at him and watched him pitch. He nodded to the empire and the batter.

He took a deep breath, an evil glint in his eyes before he struck, his swing was fast and the ball curled. The batter had no time to react and he got a strike in. That was amazing. I turned to exchange silent glances with Mitch. He too was shocked. I told them to continue and by that time, he got three strikes and the batter was out.

I looked over at Mitch and he nodded. ‘Abby, you’re up!’ I called over. I knew she was the second best batter and I needed to step up the game to the next level. We need to know if he’s able to get pass the best players and he was really in. He needed to be the best.

Abby jogged on the field, a helmet on her head to protect it. She swung the bat professionally, a calm look on her face. As she readied herself there, I watched Marcus looking at her with a bored expression. Wow, this guy is really confident. I saw Abby exchange a look with him before she nodded.

Abby was best in curl ball. I watched in anticipation as he raised his arm and then swung out, his throw was fast yet deadly. It whizzed over to her and she swung hard. For a second there I thought she missed since she swung a second too slow but her end of the bat hit the ball and it soared.

After Marcus got the ball back, I nodded at them. Two more before he’s out. He looked grim by now, he was standing on the mount, and one gloved hand in front and the hand with the ball behind. Like any normal pitcher would do as he contemplated his next throw. We waited in anticipation.

He uncoiled from the stance and geared himself, bringing his leg up before he swung his arm out, letting the ball shoot out of his hand like a missile. Much to everyone’s surprise, Abby missed. She looked shocked too. Marcus looked pleased with himself. Soon, Abby was out earning three strikes.

She looked pissed.

That was already our best batter and he beat her. There was no point sending in the rest of the batters. I knew that was mortifying for Abby and I knew she was plotting revenge or something. I glanced over at Mitch who shrugged at me and nodded. It seemed that Mitch had allowed Marcus to join the team. I shrugged and walked over towards him, wanting to get earshot instead of yelling like a weirdo.

‘Well Marcus congratulations, you’re in the team,’ I told him once I was in front of him, ten feet away. ‘You’ll get your own set of uniforms, caps, gloves and boots once we sign you in. I suggest-‘

‘Beat me Captain,’ he interrupted me. Everyone grew silent at the request. I looked at him with a frown. ‘I want to see if I’m able to beat the Captain of this team before I join this group.’ What an arrogant bastard.

‘I can’t,’ I told him.

‘Why not? Are you afraid of losing out to me Captain?’ he mocked me.

I sighed and shook my head. ‘I’m injured Marcus, I’m not fit to play and no why would I be afraid of losing out to you kid? Anyway, as I was saying you can get your uniform in the gym as soon as you sign in with the coach. I don’t think that would-‘