18 | The Better to Fool Them

"Crumbs and Crumble?" Eva asked at the end of the day, as they made their way outside with their classmates

"Crumbs and Crumble?" Eva asked at the end of the day, as they made their way outside with their classmates. "I heard they've released their holiday beverages. I could go for a snicker doodle hot chocolate about now."

She pushed open the door and a blast of cold air rushed in to greet them.

Cora fixed her scarf, making a double loop around her neck. "No, not this time." She'd waited for Friday with as much patience as any Thorne Pointer. Her date with Beau was indispensable, no matter how delicious a hot chocolate sounded. "I promise I'll make it up to you," she said, as she ran down the school steps, the end of her scarf flying behind her.

"At least tell me how it goes," Eva called after her. "Don't keep me hanging all weekend."

Cora had laid out her outfit the night before, a gingham miniskirt, black tights, and white turtleneck. She'd pull the outfit together with her black ankle boots. Her mother came in as she was pulling the miniskirt over her bottom, which had grown since the last time she'd worn it. "No more truffled macaroni for me," she said, zipping up the side.

"You look beautiful," said Stella, sitting on her bed. "The better to fool them."

Cora stood in front of the mirror to get a sense of how she looked from the back. The outfit didn't feel right now that she had it on. She had ten minutes before he would show up. She could change. She tugged at the sweater, grimacing.

"You look great. Stop messing with it." Stella reassured.

Cora stopped tugging at the sweater and tugged at the skirt instead. "Is it too short?" she asked. "Is it too tight?"

Hand on her cheek, Stella considered her daughter. "By my standards, yes. But not for you girls nowadays." She would say or do anything in support of Cora ruining Beau.

Cora gathered her hair into a ponytail, thinking she should wear it up to show off her features like her mother always told her she should. If only she could find a hair tie. She rummaged her room for one, while Stella watched.

"I've decided to allow Willow on a group date," said Stella.

"That's great, Mom." She was on her knees, head under the bed.

"But only if you're there."

Forgetting where she was; Cora lifted her head too fast and banged it against the bedframe. She stood, rubbing the sore spot. "What? Why'd you tell her that?"

"Picking my battles," said Stella. "I'd rather her not sneak around behind my back."

She didn't have time to argue with her mom reasons why she couldn't, not when Beau would be there any minute. She opened her jewelry box, still searching for a hair tie.

"Willow would really appreciate it," her mother added.

"I bet she will." Cora swept her hair to the side. She'd decided to wear it down after all. She was dressed and in the hall by the time the bell rang, opening the door on the first ring. "Beau." She greeted him with a smile.