Chapter 10

One look at Micaiah's form from across the hall rekindled a tingling sense of familiarity within me. So much that the feeling grew close to irritating. But I managed to squelch it, dismissing it as a warning bell telling me to be wary of such a man.

"Well, look who it is. The prodigal son finally shows his scarred face." Micaiah's mocking tone was the first to resonate round the kitchen once we had entered. He leaned against the refrigerator and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Tell me, Lucy, who gave you an invitation? I don't remember ever extending one to your messed up den."

Instead of retorting, Lucifer remained silent, a warning glare his only retaliation to Mik's comment.

Alright. So they know Lucifer and vice versa. Curiosity sated. But how? I'll remember to ask about that later.

"I'll interpret that as "Cleo" then," Micaiah stated and cast an accusing glance at said person, sounding no more surprised than expected. "You could've at least told me you invited this bastard."

"If I gave a damn about your opinion on whether I should've invited him or not, then I would've bothered to," Cleo replied, not missing a beat. "We need him here, Mik. Your dislike towards him won't hinder me from doing what's necessary. So get over it."

"Asshole," Micaiah muttered under his breath, although it was loud enough for us to hear it. "I can't believe I've tolerated you for this long."

Cleo cast a glare his way. "I could say the same."

Lucifer and I stood by the counter on the opposite side of the two burly men, clad in nothing but black attire. I positioned myself on a stool, still reeling over how on earth I had gotten myself into this mess.

Micaiah's dry chuckle snapped me out of my thoughts. I narrowed my eyes, earning myself the same humourless gesture in return.

"You two came from where? The bedroom?" he thought out loud. "I see you didn't waste time in sleeping with the enemy then, Lucy. Bonus for you."

I almost jumped off the stool in an unexpected fury. "The hell did you just say?"

"I don't like repeating myself, Kid," he drawled sarcastically. "You heard me word for word and know it's nothing but the truth."

Okay, the bastard just crossed the line.

"Do you have to act like such an idiot?" I snapped through gritted teeth.

Micaiah swiftly, in reply, pushed away from the refrigerator and mimicked the stance of Cleo, who had positioned his palms against the counter's smooth surface and watched the scene with unveiled annoyance.

Micaiah simply shrugged a shoulder after he'd repositioned himself. "Only to those I couldn't care less about."

"Okay, that's enough," Cleo interrupted, his expression revealing his impatience even after he turned to face his companion. "You better stick to the reason why we are risking our lives like this tonight or I swear I'll abandon your sorry ass to complete this search alone and face Jairus when that idiot and his pigeons catch up to you. Just one more word aside from commencing our only purpose for being here. Count on it."

The recipient of Cleo's outburst, though he didn't say a word for a while, pressed his lips together and clenched his jaws stubbornly, as if he didn't like being told off. Let alone in front of an audience.

I almost snorted out loud. What an arrogant jerk.

The kitchen remained quiet as Cleo clearly waited for Mik's consent before he moved on.