Chapter 3

My chest heaved.

I hope you die tonight.

Shaking my head to get rid of those words, I grabbed the Fridge Guard off the ground and made my way down the street, towards where my lonely house stood. Only four or five blocks away.

I was very fortunate that hardly anyone was walking about even though it was still in the afternoon. Friday was like a day off for everyone in this town, except if you were a student or a teacher. Only a few people opened their shops on this day and I had no idea why, but I wasn't complaining.

Especially if that meant that it'd buy me more time before the town's people became aware of my latest victim bound in her own store. Not to mention that bodyguard, Erik.

Just pray the rest of the day flies by in your favour. Or else you know what will happen...

I let out a frustrated sigh. My conscience just knew when to get on my nerves.

Still, that thought rang in my mind over and over again until I stood in front of the front door of the only red-bricked building in the neighbourhood. If not the whole town.

It was so old fashioned yet strongly built and somewhat appealing from the outside that I didn't mind if it was intentionally sold to me to permanently label me as the odd one out. It also stood right at the outskirt of the town, where the feared Black Woods lingered not more than a mile away.

Of course, I didn't really mind. Especially if my nearest neighbour's home was half a kilometre away from mine - which also meant that the only visitor I got was Ellie, who only came by when her mum worked late. So in that case, I didn't mind at all.

Moving to this small inconspicuous town which I later discovered wasn't even on the map was a way of isolating myself. I didn't care much that the residents here treated me in the same way the people in the big city did as long as I got more of the freedom and space that I barely had in my previous home.

Though, not wanting to dwell on those facts for longer than necessary, I unlocked the main door and made my way in, not bothering to lock it once more.

The first thing I did was to install the Fridge Guard. The second was to climb up the stairs into my bedroom and look myself in the dressing mirror.

Truthfully, I had no idea why people detested my appearance. My skin didn't look that bad. The only slight difference between the normal human skin and mine was that my skin actually changed colour. Nothing extraordinary.

When I went out during the day, my skin became a lighter shade of brown. In the evening, or during twilight, my skin colour darkened into a dark brown shade. When it was nighttime, my skin literally blended into the darkness until one couldn't make out the difference anymore - even with when I had clothes on - unless perhaps bulbs or streetlights were switched on, only then my skin colour would be as it was during twilight. Somewhat visible.

Even now, as I stood before the mirror, the light brown colour was slightly darkening to bronze due to the lack of sunlight to keep it as it was. I had no idea why it was like this, but I'd stopped asking myself a long time ago.

Cocking my head whilst I stared at my reflection, I took off my hat, letting my black hair smoothly stumble all the way to my hips.

I then unbuttoned my coat, the action soon revealing the burned hole that led straight to where the bullet lay embedded in my flesh.

Stoically, I raised my blouse and dug my nails into the hole in my stomach. I winced only slightly at the burning sensation and watched the wound heal after I'd succeeded in pulling it out.