Chapter 2

"Miss Lenny!"

Immediately, I winced at the tone of the voice; an action that was promptly followed by a sheepish smile.

Stealthily, I hid the item I'd recently bought behind my back - along with the Fridge Guard - just as my only real friend stomped along the pavement towards me. The community school's compound, flooded with departing kids and parents, only a few metres behind.

Nobody was headed our way and I was grateful for that. The stores lining either side of the road were all closed early; as they always did on Fridays, and I relished that fact.

I wanted us to be alone so I could surprise her without any prying eyes and ears.

And not to mention, the stolen Fridge Guard in my hands kept getting weirdly heavier with each step Ellie took towards me. But I brushed the guilty feeling aside.

It's too late now.

Maintaining the apologetic smile on my face, I mentally prepared myself for the tongue lashing I knew I'd receive.

"You were supposed to walk with me after school ten minutes ago," the little six-year-old chided, hands placed haughtily on her small waist after she'd come close enough to be heard without yelling. "What took you so long?"

Her question made the sheepish smile I had on automatically morph into an amused grin. "I was busy getting you this" - I pulled my left hand away from my back and waved the little gift in the air - "but since you obviously don't want it..."

Her eyes widened, hands immediately dropping from above her hips. "No! I want it, I want it!" She reached out before unsuccessfully attempting to grab the boxed item from my hands.

"Are you sure?"

Her eyes lit with excitement. "Yes, yes!" She giggled.

"But I thought presents were usually opened after the cutting of the cake?" My grin grew wider as I taunted her, but froze on my lips the second she halted her attempts and stared at me with a shocked expression on her face.

My eyebrows subsequently scrunched, concern nibbling at my conscience. "Ellie, what's wrong?"

She opened her mouth to reply.

"You..."

But when not one single audible word was uttered, she changed tactics and instead chose to close the distance between us to wrap her tiny arms around my middle. It was then that she took a deep breath and murmured.

"You actually remembered my birthday," she whispered so softly, before suddenly laughing delightedly into my skirt, tightening her grip. "Oh, thank you, thank you, Miss Lenny!"

Present forgotten, my heart softened as I knelt down to her level and placed the items on the pavement behind me. I then placed my hands gently on her shoulders, holding her at arm's length.

"We've been through this, Ellie. Call me Lena," I corrected softly. "And why wouldn't I remember your birthday when you seemed so excited to tell me about it last week?"

"I didn't think you would remember because I know you have many problems and I didn't want my stupid birthday to be part of your worries." The little girl shrugged, trying to appear nonchalant, but I could see the façade wearing off from her expression. "So I thought you forgot."

"Well, sorry to disappoint, but I didn't." I reached behind me to pick up her present and handed it over to her, a warm smile splaying across my lips. "Happy Birthday."

Ellie put on a wide, happy grin and excitedly took the gift from my hands. "What is it?"

I nodded at the gift. "Open it."