Chapter 26

Aaron's POV

If I didn't know better, Alex was being coerced; forced into whatever was happening by this slick ass dude that looked like danger waiting to happen. If we were anywhere but Creede I would label him as an influential boss of the underworld, dealing in drugs or human trafficking, but we are in Creede and nothing like that happens here. Something was wrong and it had been for a long time, whatever it was, had affected Alex badly, and maybe this guy's tried to have her killed- which would explain the many times she'd been spooked and even pushed down stairs.

Why would she not tell me? It is my job to deal with these things... was my job. I felt a pang of guilt for not realising sooner that she was possibly in danger.

I took the stairs two at a time, only to find that somehow they had moved twice as fast down various corridors and hallways, making it impossible to follow. I found that I was lost after making a few wrong turns and a feeling of foreboding set in. Something was about to happen.

My right hand groped the holster I had around my waist, finding the Glock that was tucked beneath my black tuxedo jacket. I took it out with a firm grip, flicking the safety off and checking that a bullet was in the chamber. Slowly, with the gun in hand, I edge slowly along the corridor, that sense of foreboding growing with each passing second, until it became almost crippling. 

I turned as I thought I heard my name on the air, like the rustle of a breeze through trees. It was an unmistakable voice, my mothers. I'd spun so fast on my heel the world blurred, but he was there behind me about nine maybe ten meters away. The cold stare fixating on me. As soon as I stopped I raised my gun up, but he had gone. Perhaps he was never there, a projection of my mind in the panic of the moment.

Sure enough, as my body relaxed and I lowered my weapon, I was once again alerted as a sturdy hand gripped my shoulder. I spun slower this time, coming face to face with the Doctor. He had a look of amusement on his face.

"What are you doing?" He grinned, trying his best to stifle a laugh.

I put my Glock away safely back into the holster. I guess I must look ridiculous.

"I need to find Alex, I think she's in danger." My tone was serious, and by that, the Doctor could tell I wasn't messing around. I had gone into police mode. "I saw a guy with her-"

The atmosphere changed as the Doctor rolled his eyes, " A pretty young girl like herself is allowed to be around a guy Aaron." He chuckled this time.

"You don't understand. This guy was different and she looked scared, as if he had something over her. He... he was right here, I swear. Then he just disappeared."

Almost instantly the Doctor's face changed, his eyes becoming wider and full of shock. "Disappeared? Where did he go?" He yelled as he looked both ways down the corridor.

"I don't-"

"Come," he started off down the corridor at a fast pace, which I had to match. It then turned into a run, which slowed to a walk as we turned a corridor, coming face to face with what looked like a bodyguard or some type of security... or a club bouncer. But there are no clubs here.

"Be quiet follow my lead," he turns to me as we now walk slowly, nearing the giant man. Suddenly he starts laughing, as he grabs my arm, it was a raucous laugh, emanating from deep within his chest. "Well I have to say, you're a funny man Aaron," his other hand clapping my back. I force a smile as we're at the doorway, the doctor's hands lift away from me, moving to shake the bouncers. As their hands connect in a firm shake, the doctor moves forward, his chest almost touching the bouncer's as he whispers something inaudible to me in the guy's ear.